Research Club holds Synopsys Championship preparation meeting

Vivek Moorjani
Attendees of the research club take part in a mock-science fair in preparation for Synopsys on March 7. Synopsys is the Santa Clara County regional research championship.

Research Club held a mock science fair on March 7 in upper school physics and science research teacher Chris Spenner’s room in preparation for the Synopsys Science and Technology Championship. Around eight students attended, including the presidents of the club.

Research Club held the event to allow students to practice presenting their science projects to club officers and help them build confidence before the competition. Synopsys is the Santa Clara County regional research championship, from which participants can qualify to the statewide and then international fairs.

“We’ve been doing it for quite a while,” Spenner said. “The original inspiration was just that we thought that students might want to have one chance, at least before Synopsys happens, to just practice through their stuff. A lot of them are already practicing with other people they know. But this gives them access to some science teachers and some research club officers who have been to Synopsys before.”

Spenner also noted the various types of projects that students would present at the fair, like a  large language model developed with artificial intelligence that would help to distinguish between accurate and inaccurate book reviews. 

“I am looking forward to hearing from the students when they come back about what kinds of good interactions they’ve had with the judges,” Spenner said. “Students are often very excited to see what other students have done on their posters because they will have some time to walk around this giant conference hall and just see what other students have done. The mingling and the social connections were all part of the experience.”

Research Club co-president Fiona Yan (12) emphasized that the goal of the event was to help students prepare for Synopsys. She believes the event will help participants feel more ready for the real event and help them to perform better.

“I think for a lot of people, just going there presenting [means a lot],” Fiona said. “You’re sharing your work with the judges. [There are] so many things that you’ve worked so hard for; seeing it pay off and communicating it to others [means a lot].”

Meeting attendee Juliana Li (11) looked forward to the Synopsys fair because of the learning opportunities the fair provides. 

“Other people’s research helps me, but not just about what they’re presenting about,” Juliana said. “So, how they’re going about doing their project and their methods and more about what could be improved [helps my own interests].”