Apex: Putting under pressure

Allison Yang (11) approaches golf with precision and poise

Allison Yang (11): I started playing golf when I was in third grade, so that’s like I don’t know, seven years ago, eight years ago. I first got into golf because a couple of my friends were taking golf classes, and they asked me to join. I really started getting into these tournaments, these really small tournaments that the little group lesson organization would make. 

I started playing Harker when I first tried out in sixth grade. I really liked spending time with the team because we’re really close-knit. And we just have really fun times just on the golf course and off the golf course. 

This year, I don’t know, I’m still in shock about how we got this far. It’s really crazy. It still hasn’t completely settled in yet. At first we were like, ‘Oh my god,’ if we make it to Nor Cals that’s gonna be an amazing thing. And we did make it to Nor Cals. And no one was expecting us to go anywhere, or make it into States. We weren’t even expecting to be in the top five. But somehow it just played out that way and we made it into States. 

An hour before the final results were out, our team was I think like, like seventh or like just not even the top half. And then we just kept watching our name keep climbing up the leaderboard. And it was just crazy. I think we were able to play smart, and then final couple holes really tricked a lot of other teams, because they weren’t as experienced, and they didn’t look through the courses and prepare as much beforehand. We had our prior experiences. 

Ashley Mo (10): She carried our team a lot. We really depended on her as our star player I guess, but ultimately it was a team effort. But we knew that she would always be able to clutch up for us. 

Allison: I had no expectations going in whatsoever. I was just going to do my best and it turned out to be a really good score. I think the biggest challenge is probably like staying positive, because a round of golf does last around five or six hours. And so to keep fighting at it, to keep grinding at it, one of the biggest challenges for us. 

Ashley: She’s really determined. I feel like even if she has a bad shot, she never lets that get to her. And she’s always the type of person to end a round better than she starts it.

Allison: I think it’s just really nice because golf is an individual sport, and there’s not too much interaction. But with a team, you can really get the team play experience, and I think that’s pretty invaluable. 

Anika Pallapothu (11): She’s always had a type of leadership figure because you always feel comfortable in telling anything with her, getting tips from her, especially because of her maturity and professionalism within golf itself. 

Allison: Stay in the present and stop worrying about what your result will be. What you did in the last hole after a bad shot. You just gotta keep grinding through it.