School Meeting 4/15: Academic awards, Green Team and Earthchella

Ella Guo
Assistant Head of School for Academic Affairs Jennifer Gargano speaks about the mission of the school. Gargano also mentioned Harker’s awards, where teachers select students based on three categories.

Associated Student Body Secretary Cynthia Wang (12) opened the school meeting on April 15. 

Upper School Division Head Paul Barsky congratulated jazz concert performers and Research Symposium volunteers for their work. He also reminded students about Harker’s values, noting recent inappropriate conversations in areas like Nichols Hall rotunda and Graduate’s Grove. Barsky encouraged community members to be respectful and kind to each other. 

Assistant Head of School for Academic Affairs Jennifer Gargano then explained the award system, where teachers nominate students based on three categories: leadership, love of learning and mission of the school. A student who is nominated by more than one teacher in any of the three categories attends a dinner at the end of the school year.

ASB Student Events Committee members Shareen Chahal (12), Sam Parupudi (11), Amishi Gupta (10) and Ameera Ramzan (9) announced that Earthchella will be held this Friday in the Quad, hosted by chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine. Earthchella will host a raffle where students can enter by writing their observations on nature.

ASB Student Publicity Committee members Anish Jain (12), Jason Shim (11), Kairui Sun (10) and Stellan Lindh (9) next reminded students about the ongoing Martha’s Kitchen Food Fight fundraiser contest, with Harker currently ranked fourth with 1021 points. Students earn one point for each dollar donated, four points for each pound of food donated and eight points for each hour volunteered. The committee added that volunteering for the fundraiser counts toward Harker’s community service requirement.

Harker Conservatory representatives Shareen, Luke Mehta (12), Iris Cai (11), Sam and Jason announced the upcoming auditions for Harker Dance Company and Kinetic Krew, which will be held on Monday from 4:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., respectively.

Green Team co-president Kinnera Mulam (12) and vice president Shreyas Chakravarty (11) introduced Earth Week with a video highlighting the importance of being environmentally friendly, followed by a series of announcements of upcoming speaker events. During Friday’s school meeting, alum Simar Mangat (‘13), who founded three companies, will explain how to better care for the environment. Students will also be able to write postcards to legislators about climate change-related policies and adopt water bottles. Alum Sarai Rojas (‘14) plans to speak on April 23 about San Jose Clean Energy, and middle school English teacher Marjorie Hazeltine will present on fast fashion on April 25. The speech and debate team will host a debate on the topic of banning single use plastic, and the annual clothing swap will be held in front of the Rothschild Performing Arts Center from April 30 to May 2, and on May 1.

Before dismissing the meeting, Cynthia announced the new ASB officers for the 2024-25 school year: Sam, Alicia Ran (11), Jia Jia Jiang (11), Daniel Chen (11) and Ananya Pradhan (10) as president, vice president, secretary, spirit coordinator and treasurer, respectively.