Humans of Harker: Breaking cultural and linguistic barriers

Dina Ande embraces differences in identities
“For me, at the core of all I do, it is in giving back to the community and honoring everyone and who they are. I want to always return the same love that was given to me to elevate others, breaking any barriers between people and making sure that everyone feels a part of the circle,” Dina Ande (12) said. (Alena Suleiman)

Tigrinya. Ge’ez. Arabic. English. Four seemingly unconnected languages that each left a profound mark on the multicultural life of Dina Ande (12). Throughout her life, Dina lived in several different communities, each with its own unique culture. Distinctive aspects from communities all over the world come together to shape Dina’s values of opening up and appreciating all cultures.

Dina spent most of her early life in her hometown of Eritrea, where she grew familiar with her native language, Tigrinya. By the time Dina moved to the United States at seven years old, she had already visited three different countries, exposing her to several unique languages and cultures.

In the United States, Dina continued to learn about different languages and cultures, such as Arabic through the National Security Language Initiative for Youth. Through her local church’s liturgical use, Dina  also learned Ge’ez, the oldest language. In every place she has been, Dina values the importance of learning languages not only to communicate with the local population but also to properly appreciate and embrace their culture. 

“It’s a nice journey once you are able to communicate with other people,” Dina said. “It’s just really powerful. It allows you to make connections with others and it’s a very strong tool to have. It gives me the opportunity to understand that language, and also to just open up to the culture and understand how other societies function.”

Dina’s appreciation for culture and language culminated in her participation in the Student Diversity Coalition at Harker. With a desire to create a positive impact on her community, Dina aspires to foster an environment where individuals can openly express themselves and connect with others despite cultural and linguistic obstacles.

“I really wanted to make an impact and make others more understanding of our differences in terms of language, and also many other things in terms of identity,” Dina said. “That’s a reason why I joined Student Diversity Coalition, which I’m a part of now, and just making sure we’re building a community that’s embracing of everyone and everything.”

At SDC, Dina initiated culture week during her sophomore year, motivated by a wish to allow people to celebrate the culture of themselves and others. During culture week, Dina loves to watch students from unique backgrounds showcase their culture.

“I’ve been on SDC, which really makes me feel happy because I got to see a bunch of different people coming together to celebrate who they are and showcase other people fully putting themselves on display,” Dina said. “It’s a celebration of culture and diversity, and it really has made an impact on me.”

Although timid, Dina decided to pursue speech and debate when she joined Harker in ninth grade due to a passion for speaking on subjects she cares about. Through competitions in original oratory, a type of speech addressing certain social problems, Dina stepped out of her comfort zone to communicate her feelings.

“Speech has really helped me to get out of my shell and express myself using English,” Dina said. “Making my own speeches and talking about issues that really mattered to me was very important. I’ve grown to really enjoy the activity and also make connections to people on the team that I think are really long lasting.”

Dina’s ability to improve the energy in the room by actively listening and participating fascinates her friends and teachers. Upper school speech and debate teacher Scott Odekirk praised Dina’s use of words to effectively persuade others with her speeches. 

“Dina is a genius when it comes to words,” Odekirk said. “It takes great emotional insight to write speeches that people are persuaded by, and she’s always had a rhetorical ability to write speeches and convey messages in really effective but also poetic ways.”

The impact Dina has on both school and her local church community inspires many of her friends to do the same. Iris Fu (12), Dina’s friend from SDC and speech and debate, admires Dina’s leadership.

“She does a lot for her local community and her core family,” Iris said. “She’s a really big inspiration for me, and she leads me through a lot of things. But also I think it’s really powerful to see how much of an impact she has on her community.”

Dina’s friends also respect her for her dedication to her favorite activities and eagerness to assist others. Close friend Divya Venkat (12), who first met Dina in advisory, reminisces about playing cards and studying for tests with Dina. 

“She’s such a passionate person with the activities that she engages with, like SDC,” Divya said. “One thing that’s unique about her is her warmth towards other people and how she’s eager to help other people. She doesn’t hesitate, when someone needs help, to help them.”

Dina’s emphasis on opening up and appreciating different cultures reflects her commitment to fostering inclusivity and a sense of community. By stepping out of her comfort zone and displaying her unique culture while making speeches about topics meaningful to her, Dina encourages others to do the same.

“For me, at the core of all I do, it is in giving back to the community and honoring everyone and who they are,” Dina said. “I want to always return the same love that was given to me to elevate others, breaking any barriers between people and making sure that everyone feels a part of the circle.”