Varsity girls soccer yields to Sacred Heart Preparatory 1-3

Tiffany Zhu
Defensive player Misha Singla (10) defends the ball from a Gator. “I liked the intensity that Sacred Heart had, too, and we put up a good fight, especially towards the end,” Misha said.

The varsity girls soccer team suffered defeat to Sacred Heart Preparatory (SHP) 1-3 on Jan. 19.

The Eagles opened the game with momentum, pushing high up the field and maintaining an offensive stance. After back-and-forth exchanges between the two teams, forward MacEnzie Blue (10) advanced the ball toward the Gator’s goal, allowing Harker to regain the advantage. Fifteen minutes into the first half, forward and co-captain Claire Anderson (11) attempted a shot, but the ball narrowly missed its mark, rebounding off the goal post. The bench erupted in encouraging cheers for the close attempt, keeping the Eagles’ spirits high. 

Following a breakdown in Harker’s defense, SHP scored, bringing the score to 0-1. Harker tried to close the gap with a shot from MacEnzie, but the SHP goalkeeper deflected the attempt. With 16 minutes remaining in the first half, the Gators launched another attack. Goalkeeper Kylie Anderson (11) blocked the first shot, but the Gators scored on the follow-up. The Gators gained another point two minutes before halftime, pushing the score to 0-3. 

Forward Natalie Barth’s (10) parent Tia Barth commended the team for their perseverance during the first half of the game, commenting on the rainy weather during the match. 

“The girls are working really hard and we had some good opportunities,” Barth said. “We had a shot off the bar in the first 15 minutes, but because of the wet conditions, the other team is taking advantage of multiple chances. We’ve got to keep after it because they’ve made all three of their goals on second chances.”

Outside defender Sara Glusman (11) prepares to pass the ball as a Gator approaches. The team lost 1-3 against Sacred Heart. (Tiffany Zhu)

Defensive player Misha Singla (10) noted that the rain during the game heightened the intensity of the match, with both teams competing fiercely. 

“Playing in the rain can make the game more fun but also a lot more challenging,” Misha said. “I liked the intensity that Sacred Heart had, too, and we put up a good fight, especially towards the end.” 

During the second half, co-captain and mid-fielder Anya Chauhan (12) won a foul inside the penalty box. Claire executed the penalty kick, scoring a goal for the Eagles. The Gators continued to exhibit a strong offense, but the Eagles defended persistently, with Kylie thwarting all the Gators’ attempts to score. This tough defense is a result of the Eagles’ collaboration on the field, which forward Aanya Sharma (9) noted. 

“We’re all playing really well separately but we’re dribbling by ourselves too much sometimes,” Aanya said. “When we can come together as a team, which we always try to do, that’s when we definitely play better.” 

The team currently holds a 5-4-2 record and plays Nueva next at Skyline College on Saturday.