Weekly sports previews: Dec. 5 to Dec.9

Aryan

Anya Chauhan (11) races to gain possession of the ball. The varsity girls soccer team’s overall record stands at 2-0.

Looking to support Harker Athletics? Check out this week’s slate of winter sports games and updates on how each team is performing below!

Girls basketball

The varsity girls basketball team started their season off at the 21st Sandi Stober Classic tournament hosted at Lynbrook High School. The team beat Burlingame High School 37-32 on Thursday, but fell 43-71 to Evergreen Valley High School on Friday, with another loss on Saturday against American High School 44-69. The junior varsity basketball team participated in the Monta Vista tournament, starting off with a loss against Monta Vista High School 11-29, but bounced back with a 23- 20 win against Santa Clara High School. The team fell to King’s Academy 23-41 on Saturday. 

Boys basketball

Varsity boys basketball remains undefeated in the opening two weeks of their season after two unofficial scrimmages against Oak Grove High School and Aptos High School. On Tuesday over Thanksgiving break, the Eagles played Yerba Buena High School for their home opener game, crushing them 83-28. The JV and frosh/soph boys basketball teams played on the same day and both emerged victorious as well. The varsity team participated in the James Lick Invitational Tournament this past week, securing another big win on Wednesday against James Lick High School with a score of 59-12. In the winner’s bracket on Friday, the Eagles continued on to narrowly defeat Independence High School 57-55 by two free throws in the final second of the game. Advancing to the championship match, they beat Evergreen Valley High School 52-46 in a closely-refereed thriller on Saturday in which the Eagles pulled ahead in the final minutes of the game. Team co-captain Om Tandon (11) received the tournament MVP award, and team co-captains Abhi Namala (12) and KJ Williams (12) received all-tournament awards as well.

Girls soccer

Varsity girls soccer started their season off strong with two wins at home last week. On Monday, they dominated Scotts Valley, winning 4-0 with four different Eagles scoring goals. On Friday, they continued their hot streak, winning a solid 2-1 contest against the James Lick Comets. This week, the team will play home games against Prospect High School on Tuesday at 4 p.m. and Castilleja on Thursday at 3:30 p.m.

Boys soccer

Boys varsity soccer kicked off the winter season with their first away game at Half Moon Bay High School on Tuesday, which the team lost 1-2. Their second game, which was against San Francisco International High School, set for Thursday was canceled due to rainy weather. In the coming week, the team will play against Santa Clara High School tomorrow at 6 p.m. and Lynbrook High School on Friday at 7 p.m. The junior varsity soccer team played against Half Moon Bay High School on Tuesday but lost 0-1. They will play against Santa Clara High School tomorrow at 4 p.m.