Varsity girls water polo team overwhelms Lynbrook 19-4

Emma Milner
Co-captain Keren Eisenberg (11) attempts to block a Lynbrook player. The team currently holds a 3-0 overall record and is ranked #1 in the league standings.

The varsity girls water polo team trounced Lynbrook 19-4 at home last Thursday, improving their league record to 3-0. 

Within the first two minutes of the game, Mia Tang (10) scored two goals, heightening the team’s overall momentum. Lynbrook followed by scoring a goal of their own, trailing behind by one point. With the Eagles still leading, Mia and Melody Yin (11) pulled ahead and delivered a goal each, bringing the score to 4-1. The Vikings attempted to level the score but fell short two points, and Harker carried their lead 4-2 into the second quarter. 

“I think fundamentally we have a lot of chemistry and coordination in our play,” co-captain Keren Eisenberg (11) said. “We spend a lot of time during practice perfecting different aspects of our offense, and our defense is a strong base for that as well.”

The Eagles dominated the next three quarters by scoring 15 goals, with the Vikings only returning two. Zoe Cammer (9) scored three of those goals, and Keren and co-captain Olivia Xu (12) each scored two.

“During the second half, our passes were a lot better, and our communication was really good,” Zoe said. “Our game IQ was shown in this [game] because we were able to read the plays, read what’s happening and not rush anything.”

The girls varsity water polo team currently holds the number one standing in the league. As the season progresses, the team hopes to continue its winning streak and ultimately bring home the league title. 

“Winning this league is something that I would love to do with this team, because I think we’re good enough, [and] it’s definitely achievable,” Keren said. “It takes a lot of long-term dedication to practices and keeping that energy up, but I’m confident we can do it.”

The team travels to Castilleja this Thursday to match up against the Gators.