Weekly Roundup: Spring sports clear the competition

Anton+Novikov+%2810%29+and+Mitchell+Granados+%2812%29+run+in+the+first+heat+of+the+boys+100m+dash+finals.+Anton+won+the+race%2C+with+Mitchell+coming+in+third.+

Muthu Panchanatham

Anton Novikov (10) and Mitchell Granados (12) run in the first heat of the boys 100m dash finals. Anton won the race, with Mitchell coming in third.

by Anna Vazhaeparambil, Asst. Sports Editor

Baseball:

After a solid performance, the baseball team ends this week with two more wins under their belt: they beat Terra Nova High School 8-6 on Tuesday and Westmoor High School 20-6 on Thursday, before facing a tough 8-5 loss to Harbor High School on Saturday.

“We’re having a really strong season and getting a lot of wins,” sophomore Ellis Goldman said. “I think we’re all really looking forward to our game next week against Jefferson because if we win that game, we will be first in our league.”

Currently 6-2 in league and 11-5 overall, the team plays Del Mar High School on Tuesday, April 23, and hosts Jefferson High School on Thursday, April 25, at 4:00 P.M.

Golf:

The boys golf team collected another win this week with the junior varsity players beating Menlo School 208-283 on Tuesday. The varsity team’s match against Menlo on Friday was rescheduled to next Thursday, April 25, where they will also be celebrating senior night and honoring Joshua Broweleit (12), Abhinav Joshi (12), Bradley Lu (12), Charles Pun (12) and Ashwin Rammohan (12).

“We’ve been doing well in our matches, and if we beat Menlo, we can get our sixth consecutive league title,” Ashwin said. “We just want to end the year on a high note, especially with the post-season championships, like CCS, NorCal and states.”

In addition to playing Menlo, next week the varsity members will also compete at the Aptos Tournament on Monday and against Valley Christian High School on Wednesday, while the JV team take on Menlo-Atherton High School on Tuesday.

Lacrosse:

Despite beating Presentation High School 10-8 on Tuesday of this week, the girls lacrosse team lost their undefeated league record after a tough game against Woodside High School on Friday, which resulted in a 12-5 loss. They are now 6-1 in league and 9-3 overall.

Regardless, the team is determined to finish the season strong, aiming for the championship title that they had just narrowly missed last year.

“We can definitely learn from the tough loss and come back from this in our next games,” sophomore Rhea Nanavati said. “We realized that we need to work a little better together when we’re under pressure and ultimately just outwork the other teams. [I’m] definitely looking forward to bringing back the energy during playoffs.”

The girls play away at Salinas High School on Tuesday, April 23, and host Carlmont High School on Friday, April 26, at 4:00 P.M.

Alysa Suleiman
Lily Wancewicz (12) pitches during a game against Gunn on Monday, April 15. The Eagles lost the game 22-10.

Softball:

After losing to Gunn High School 22-10 and Palo Alto High School 9-6 in their two non-league games this week, the softball team prepares for their upcoming matches as their season comes to a close. The girls currently maintain a league record of 2-5 and an overall record of 4-9.

Next week, the team plays Pinewood School on Tuesday, April 23, and hosts King’s Academy on Thursday, April 25, at 4:00 P.M.

Swimming:

Having not competed in any meets during the last week, the swim team is solely focusing on getting ready for the upcoming WBAL Championship Trials that will be occurring on Thursday, April 25, and the WBAL Championship Finals that take place on Saturday, April 27, both at Sacred Heart Preparatory School.

Junior Alyssa Huang describes how in preparation for the races, the team has been “tapering” in practice, primarily concentrating on technique work rather than over-exerting themselves with too many sprints.

“We’ve been doing pretty well [this year], and everyone has been having fun,” she said. “The season is almost coming to a close so we’re tapering, and we’re just hoping to do well at leagues and CCS, which is in two weeks.”

Tennis:

During their game against Pinewood School on Wednesday, which ended in a 4-3 win, the varsity tennis team also honored Kai Franz (12) and Nishant Ravi (12) in the senior night ceremony.

“[The season] has been awesome,” assistant coach Mike Nguyen said. “It’s been really good to see everyone growing together as a team. I hope that’s something they can take with them for the rest of their lives.”

The boys are currently 12-1 in league, having only lost to Menlo, and they are looking forward to playing the team again on Monday, April 22, along with the junior varsity team.

Track and Field:

The track and field team had a strong showing at the third WBAL meet of the season, taking home prizes in both the relay and individual events. The boys relay team of Andrew Chen (9), Mitchel Granados (12), Anton Novikov (10) and Giovanni Rofa (11) took first in the 4×100 relay, and the girls team of Alycia Cary (12), Sara Min (12), Kismet Singh (11) and Nikki Solanki (11) took third in the same event.

In the boys individual events, Anton won the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.86, with Mitchel following closely after in third place. Ayush Vyas (12) placed second in the shot put and discus throw, while Andrew took first in the long jump and second in the triple jump, which Giovanni took first in.

The girls also earned recognition in both the track and field events, with Ritika Rajamani (9) earning third in the 3200-meter run and Natasha Matta (9) and Zoey Rosa (11) placing second and third respectively in the 100-meter hurdles. Nikki took third in the long jump, followed by Alexa Lowe (9) who also took second in the triple jump.

The team also competed at the Soquel Invitational on Saturday, their last meet until the WBAL Championship Trials on April 30.

Volleyball:

Maintaining their winning streak, the varsity volleyball team defeated Saratoga High School in three sets on Friday, increasing their league record to 12-1 and their overall record to 27-4. The boys also improved their state and national ranking to eighth place, although they are still second in CCS behind Monta Vista High School.

“So far, this season has been a blast,” junior Liam Bakar said. “From going to San Diego to take on some of the top teams in California to playing in front of our home crowd, I couldn’t ask for a better team to share these experiences, and [we] are happy with each and every victory.”

Next week, both the junior varsity and varsity teams play Los Gatos High School on Wednesday, April 24, at 5:30 P.M. and 6:45 P.M. respectively.