Varsity girls water polo defeated by Saint Francis 11-10 in overtime

Mendy Mao
Tvisha Ganesh (9) swims to defend against a St. Francis field player. Tvisha scored a point for her team during the first quarter of the game.

The varsity girls water polo team lost 10-11 to Saint Francis High School during sudden death overtime on Sept. 15 in the Singh Aquatic Center.

Saint Francis scored four times in the first quarter but Harker hit back with co-captain Keren Eisenberg (11), field player Zoe Cammer (9) and field player Tvisha Ganesh (9) all scoring goals. The first quarter ended with the Eagles trailing behind 3-4. 

The two teams battled for the upper hand in the second quarter. Zoe and field player Mia Tang (10) both scored while goalie Jasmine Hansra (10) blocked multiple attempted shots, tying the score at 6-6. Both teams played hard for their win, with supporters for both sides in the audience.

“The Harker team’s playing style is cooperative and also aggressive,” Maryanne Davies (10), a Harker student and audience member, said. “They aren’t afraid to make passes and go for goals. Everyone seems like they’re focused on collaborating to score.”

In the third quarter, Harker gained momentum as they brought up the score to 9-7, with Keren, field player Summer Adler (11) and Mia each earning a point for the team. Saint Francis scored twice in the last quarter, bringing the game to a tie at 9-9 and forcing overtime.

During overtime, junior Melody Yin scored a goal to earn back the lead at 10-9. Saint Francis returned the goal, closing the gap to 10-10 before the end of overtime. Both sides battled it out for the deciding point in sudden death, where the first team to score wins the game. Saint Francis scored, with the final result prevailing at 11-10. 

Varsity girls water polo head coach Cristian Tanase commended the team for their efforts.

“One of the team strengths today [was] our energy to stay in the game and not giving up,” Coach Tanase said. “It was a close game from the beginning till the end and it was just one goal. The chemistry of the team is just so much better. I’ve always wanted [to take it] one game at a time, and we’re getting better game by game.”

Despite the loss, Zoe observed that the team reached a new level of cooperation and unity. She looks forward to her upcoming season with the team.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen the team play this well, with this speed, this energy,” Zoe said. “We all felt like one. We moved like one. We helped each other out. I’m excited for the upcoming season – this team is just wonderful. [As] for the outcome, I’m for sure sad. I gave it my all in that pool. But these things happen. We all win, we all lose, and we just have to grow from that.”