Varsity girls soccer destroys Priory 3-1 on senior night

Ella Guo
Seniors Dina Ande, Anya Chauhan, Heidi Lu and Cynthia Wang pose for a photo together. Friends and family attended the ceremony and teammates gifted the seniors with flowers and tiaras.

The varsity girls soccer team conquered Priory 3-1 during their senior night game on Feb. 8. 

Prior to the game, the team along with friends and family gathered to honor seniors Dina Ande, Anya Chauhan, Heidi Lu and Cynthia Wang. Head coach Joel Mthombeni introduced each senior and described their unique contributions to the team. He concluded his speech by addressing the seniors as a whole and praising their dedication to the team.

“For me as your coach, it’s been an honor and a pleasure to work with you,” Mthombeni said in his speech. “I hope that I’ll be able to introduce to you and teach you something that you can use later on in life. This program would not be as successful as it is without all your sacrifices and commitment throughout the years.”

Varsity team members gifted the seniors flowers and tiaras and draped soccer capes over them. The seniors took photos with their friends and family while holding handmade supportive signs with phrases like “Dina is the Queen-A” and “Cynthia Wang goes out with a bang.”

The first half kicked off with forward Heidi taking possession of the ball to lead the offensive. Forward and co-captain Claire Anderson (11) attempted a goal just two minutes in. Despite having possession, Harker struggled to score for the first 35 minutes. Midfielder Eva Cheng (10), co-captain and midfielder Anya and forward MacEnzie Blue (10) each aimed for the goal throughout the first half but were blocked by Priory’s goalkeeper. In the last two minutes of the first half, Anya successfully made a goal, bringing the score to 1-0.

Teammates taped handmade signs to the bleachers in support of the seniors. “Dina is the Queen-A” and “Cynthia Wang goes out with a bang” were some of the phrases written on the signs.
(Mendy Mao)

Claire and goalkeeper Kylie Anderson’s (11) grandfather Bob Anderson commended the team for their improvement in maintaining possession throughout the season. 

“They’ve been much better at controlling the ball and making better passes,” Anderson said. “Defense has saved our goalie from any kind of interaction with the ball. I haven’t seen a lot of weaknesses other than finishing.”

Anya scored her second goal of the game in the first five minutes of the second half. MacEnzie followed suit and scored with 24 minutes remaining on the clock after a series of plays by both the Eagles and the Panthers. Priory tried scoring but Kylie blocked their efforts. In the last few minutes of the game, the Panthers managed to put themselves on the scoreboard, leading to a final score of 3-1 in Harker’s favor.        

Anya praised her teammates’ energy during the game. She reflects on her journey playing soccer in the past few years alongside the other seniors.

Forward Kaitlyn Nelson (9) runs towards the ball as a Priory defender closes in. The Eagles beat Priory 3-1.

“It was a really special game,” Anya said. “The team did a really good job making it a really memorable senior night. The other seniors, we’ve just gone through it all together, from the first team bonding when we were just little freshmen. We’ve made amazing friendships and I’m really grateful for it all.”

The varsity girls soccer team holds a season record of 9-8-2 and played their final game against Crystal Springs Uplands on Feb. 14, losing 1-2.