Varsity boys volleyball sweeps Homestead in three sets

Outside hitter Aaron Guo (11) leaps up to hit the ball. “When we have momentum going, we don’t want to lose it, especially after the other team calls a timeout,” Aaron said. (Emma Li)

The varsity boys volleyball team defeated Homestead High School 25-17, 25-19, 25-23 at home on April 12.

Harker scored the first three points of the first set. Opposite Kyle Johnson (12) took the first point, setter Adrian Liu (12) hit an ace and Homestead spiked the ball out of bounds. However, the Eagles soon became neck and neck with the Mustangs, with both sides gradually racking up points. 

Throughout the first set, the Eagles maintained a narrow lead, consistently keeping a higher score than the Mustangs’. The Eagles called a timeout when the score tied at 13-13, after which they pulled ahead on a steady streak and ended the first set 25-17.

Once again in the second set, the Eagles took the early lead, quickly gaining an advantage with a score of 8-1. Homestead called a timeout in an attempt to break Harker’s streak, but outside hitter Aaron Guo (11) noted that his team was able to continue scoring consistently even after the timeout. 

“When we have momentum going, we don’t want to lose it, especially after the other team calls a timeout,” Aaron said. “We want to keep the pressure on the entire time.”

Homestead’s score stayed a consistent five to six points below Harker’s even as the Mustangs continued to advance. After a smooth second set, the Eagles triumphed 25-19. Middle Edis Mesic (12) believes that the team’s performance throughout the game was because they practiced consistency and teamwork. 

“One strategy that was really big for us [during the game] was just connecting on the things that we were working a lot on in practice,” Edis said. “One of the biggest ones was just being consistent with our serving and then also being really consistent on our blocking defense.”

Opening the third set, the Eagles scored the first five points, eventually pulling ahead with a seven point lead. While Harker managed to stay on top throughout the set, Homestead mounted a comeback and racked up a six-point streak, shaking up the scores to 22-20.  Both teams were left with a chance to take the third set as the scoreboard reached 24-23 by the end of the set. Nevertheless, the Eagles pulled through, with middle Rahul Yalla (11) scoring the final point to win the third set and the game overall. 

Despite the uncertainty faced in the third set, head coach Mason Tufuga believes that the game went smoothly overall and cites the victory as a product of the team’s hard work.

“[Homestead] is the team that we’ve lost our only league match against, and so I think the boys wanted some redemption,” Tufuga said. “We had beaten them in a tournament recently, but this is our first match since losing to them to play them again and our boys bounced back pretty well. We’ve been working pretty hard the last three weeks and just playing cleaner, not making as many mistakes and the effort is showing.”

The team currently holds an overall record of 6-6 and will compete against Monta Vista in an away game on April 24.