Humans of Harker: Bows and beats

Divya Venkat embraces growth through archery and music creation
“I want to be remembered as someone who takes risks and chances and is not scared of the outcome. I’ve learned that risk isn’t just about the end result but about what you can learn from the experience. A simple risk can lead to you discovering new passions, broadening your perspective, and most importantly, inspiring others to do the same,” Divya Venkat (12) said. (Vivian Chen)

With her mind clear, eyes fixed on the middle of the target, and muscles working to keep the bow drawn back, Divya Venkat (12) stands her ground at Black Mountain Bowman Archery Club’s range and focuses on the target, her mind clear and her concentration unbroken as she lets muscle memory guide her movements, even as the cool breeze whispers through the surrounding trees and leaves, creating a faint rustling sound. Upon release, the tension leaves her arms. Woosh!  The bow flies through the air, striking the bullseye with precision: a testament to her dedication to the sport. 

Every weekend, Divya visits the range to practice archery, a skill she continues to refine since she first picked up a bow and arrow at 12 years old. She shoots a compound bow with a hefty draw weight of fifty pounds. Over the years, she learned how to attach the necessary extensions and numerous weight-training exercises to maintain her strength. After mastering these skills, only then can Divya fully immerse herself in the moment. 

“Archery genuinely gets your mind off of things because when you’re shooting, the only thing you’re thinking about is shooting with your bow,” Divya said. There’s sort of this meditative aspect to it. It really ties the relationship between your conscious and subconscious. When I shoot, there are certain parts, there are certain moments where I’m not even thinking; my mind is just blank. It really gets my mind off of things. That’s why it’s so calming for me and why I enjoy it so much.”

Divya’s journey into the world of archery began with a nudge from her mother, her name printed on a sign-up sheet, and a series of beginner lessons. From here, her initial interest bloomed into a powerful passion that imbues every release of an arrow. She participated in multiple competitions throughout her career, placing as high as third place in the California State Outdoor Championships in 2019.

“The biggest takeaway and the most significant thing I’ve learned is how important having a strong mind is,” Divya said. “I’ve realized that in all of these sports, that’s the most important thing, your state of mind, how strong it is, especially in archery. I would say 40 percent is your physical strength and 60 percent is your mind.”

To Divya, the new challenges archery poses every day are the most satisfying component of the sport. These challenges allow her to better understand her strengths and weaknesses and continuously refine her technique. 

In class, Divya also strives to maximize her learning opportunities. Upper school environmental science teacher Jeff Sutton appreciates her dedication to spending time during office hours and lunch to review and gain a deeper understanding of the material. He believes that the classroom would not be the same without her energy and participation.

I would say that her biggest strength is this ability to slow down a little bit,” Sutton said. “So I can teach her something that’s complicated and she’ll ask questions that draw out the intricacies of the concept. We were talking about global climate change. That’s a really simple yet complicated topic. Simple in that as we release more CO2, it heats up, but then she’ll ask questions like where’s that heat coming from? Questions that sometimes I forget about because it’s simple, but complicated. I appreciate that.”

Whether it’s inside or outside of the classroom, Divya strives to maximize her learning opportunities. Over the years, she gained mastery of four instruments—the guitar, the piano, the trombone and the drums. She started piano lessons in 2013 at the age of seven, and through this experience, she discovered her love for music. She picked up the drums for the jazz band in middle school, as the program already had an excess of guitarists. Despite the challenge of self-learning an instrument, she learned trombone during quarantine. 

“I admire how she’s very spontaneous and willing to do anything that her heart desires,” close friend Katherine Fields (12) said. “Junior year, she wanted to do Student Directed Showcase, and I said ‘you’ve never done theater before.’ and she’s like, ‘well, it’s what I want to do so I’ll do it.’ That same year she also joined cheer. She just does anything that her heart desires, which is cool.”

Just like with archery, music helps Divya take her mind off things. Of the four instruments, she primarily plays the guitar, enjoying the ability to recreate music from unique artists like Lana Del Rey and Arctic Monkeys

I really like their music because I feel like they incorporate older, more traditional styles with a modern twist,” Divya said. “When I listen to them, I’m able to differentiate each instrument, and I feel like that’s really cool. With Lana’s music, I can pull up a song and I can hear the drums, I can hear the piano, I can hear the guitar. It’s really cool to be able to listen to a song and hear how all of these instruments come together, and that’s just inspired me so much.”

Divya also draws musical inspiration from French films she watched when learning the language. She uses her musical talent to recreate songs from said films, such as “Comptine d’un autre été: L’Après-Midi,” or “Nursery Rhyme of Another Summer—Afternoon” from Amélie. This year, she deepened her exploration of the culture through a field trip to France with her friend Sarah Westgate (12) and other upper-school students. 

“She’s a really funny, loving person and cheers up everyone she’s around,” Sarah said. We first met in our 6th-grade French class. Having her as my partner in French for so long has definitely welcomed a whole host of memories, ranging from class projects to study sessions together. This trip has been in the works for several years, so it was kind of crazy for it to actually happen and for me to go with Divya.” 

Through the process of experimentation in the realms of music, sports, and language learning, Divya gained a valuable insight that she holds close to her heart: a setback does not equate to failure but rather a new road to pave for yourself and another opportunity to seize. Divya prides herself on this mindset, which empowers her to face challenges head-on. 

“I want to be remembered as someone who takes risks and chances and is not scared of the outcome,” Divya said. “I’ve learned that risk isn’t just about the end result but about what you can learn from the experience. A simple risk can lead to you discovering new passions, broadening your perspective, and most importantly, inspiring others to do the same.”