Humans of Harker: Silent leader on the field

Jason Monaghan leads his teammates with humility and loyalty
“As a center-back, you have to read the field and see what players are trying to do. If the players are trying to get behind you to make a run or where to go when a certain player has the ball, the ball is at a certain part and when to commit to a tackle. Knowing where and when to be is a bit tougher to train for,” Jason Monaghan (12) said. (Kevin Zhang)

Jason Monaghan (12) is not your typical high school student. While many of his peers carry the standard set of essentials, a sturdy backpack, a sleek water bottle and a buzzing smartphone, Jason adds an unconventional item to his daily ensemble: a well-worn soccer ball, often seen nestled securely under his arm. This soccer ball is more than just a piece of sports equipment for Jason: it is a symbol of his unwavering attachment to the game and a constant companion in his high school journey.

Jason first discovered his passion for soccer during his sophomore year. He immediately gravitated toward the adrenaline-fueled excitement of the game and the sense of camaraderie it fostered among his peers. For Jason, soccer transcends the boundaries of a mere sport, as it serves as a vital stress-reliever and a precious opportunity to strengthen bonds with his friends. The game offers him an appealing mix of casual exercise and the exhilarating rush of competition.

In his role as the center-back for the Varsity Boys Soccer team, Jason embodies both physical agility and sharp mental acuity. Not only does playing center-back require physical prowess, it also demands rapid decision-making skills, especially in high-pressure situations.

“As a center-back, you have to read the field and see what players are trying to do,” Jason said. “If the players are trying to get behind you to make a run or where to go when a certain player has the ball, the ball is at a certain part and when to commit to a tackle. Knowing where and when to be is a bit tougher to train for.”

While the center-back serves a pivotal role to the team’s success, Jason remains humble and never boasts about his contributions to the team. His friends know him for his reticence in general. Close friend and fellow teammate Akshat Mehrotra (12) testifies to Jason’s qualities.

“He’s quite a good soccer player, but he’s humble about it,” Akshat said. “He doesn’t go about bragging. I think he’s more of a silent leader, so to speak, on the field because you can tell that he’s good at what he does, as far as defending goes.”

Instead of actively asserting himself as a leader, Jason’s innate presence and the respect he garners on the field inspire his teammates to excel. 

“Mostly it’s doing it myself. I just try and give it 100%,” Jason said.

Even in moments of defeat, Jason is a key component in helping hold the team together. He reminds his teammates to cherish the joy of the game and not let its competitive edge consume them.

Jason’s role as a unifying presence plays an especially important role in past soccer seasons. Despite the team’s losses, he consistently sought to reassure and uplift his teammates. 

“I made a really silly decision and I decided to pass the ball to Jason and it was a really poor pass,” Akshat said. “It was very slow and then the Sacred Heart striker picked up the ball and then scored a goal. I remember as soon as that goal went in, Jason came up to me and he was like, ‘Don’t worry about it. Just play on. It’s fine.’”

Jason’s soccer charisma extends beyond the team. Even in casual matches with friends, he exudes a welcoming and generous presence. He brings a soccer ball to school to ensure he and his friends can always enjoy a game, regardless of the occasion.

“He’ll let a lot of other people shoot the ball, and even when I know he wants to shoot it, the other people shoot,” close friend Jack Yang (12) said.

Jason’s taciturnity at school also indicates a thoughtfulness needed for critical thinking in the classroom, in particular history. Jason thinks carefully about his comments before contributing in class. 

“I think he’s an internal thinker and a deep thinker,” upper school history teacher Donna Gilbert said. “He’s the kind of learner where he’s thinking things through and doesn’t want to stop at the superficial level. He wants to think a lot about the topic and let it marinate and let it all coalesce for him, and then he’ll raise his hand and say something, and it’s usually really interesting.”

Even as a deep thinker, as he carries himself with quite confidence on the field and in school, along with his soccer ball, Jason influences the people around him, peers and teammates alike, to chase after the things they want without fear.