Humans of Harker: Uncovering the unseen

Shreeya Merchia helps other shines through creative endeavors
Alena Suleiman
“The glow that I am able to put in others and the way I am able to see people light up as a result of my efforts is so rewarding. Whether it is my guidance or my support for something, I love being able to help other people shine. There is this physical radiance that I can see in people when I know that they’re proud of themself or they know that they’re doing something that they love, and my ability to contribute to that is what makes it worth it,” Shreeya Merchia (12) said.

Passionate and persistent. Outgoing and optimistic. Creative and charming. Shreeya Merchia (12) approaches marketing, multimedia, mentorship and music with these qualities in mind, always aiming to support the people around her. Between creating advertisements for local businesses, filming and editing promotional videos for Harker Spirit, mentoring students with DECA and writing and producing her own music, Shreeya always offers a helping hand to the community. 

As the youngest of four siblings, Shreeya engaged in business very early on. After bringing her first digital camera to fifth-grade science camp, Shreeya recognized her talent and love for photography, which later introduced her to videography and design. She discovered marketing as a channel for her to connect her passions and use her multimedia skills while helping businesses promote their products.

After learning how promotion and videography can work together, Shreeya founded SM Productions, where she specializes in marketing and multimedia projects for businesses. Working with clubs and businesses inside and outside of school, Shreeya enjoys using her skills to help bring products, events and ideas into the public eye.

“There is something so beautiful about uncovering the unseen,” Shreeya said. “Taking something that is already existent and then putting your effort into helping someone make their vision known, Any opportunity that I have to bring light to something that is unknown, I jump on so instantly and I just have that really strong love for it.”

While she is most passionate about marketing, Shreeya cherishes exploration of the world of business as a whole. Whether it is economics class, where she remains curious about understanding events of the past and applying them to the future, or game theory class, where she tackles complicated problems using strategic and tactical thinking, Shreeya invests her time in gaining practical skills and knowledge that she can apply to the real world. 

Shreeya also mentors budding business students in DECA, teaching them the basics of business and helping them grow throughout the year. Whether she is advising her mentees or meeting other DECA members, Shreeya shares and spreads her passion to everyone around her.

“At study sessions, I love being a mentor, hopping around,” Shreeya said. “I don’t just stay with my mentees. I go to everybody because I like spreading love and meeting new people and helping them.”

Shreeya’s desire to help others reach their highest potential does not go unnoticed. Close friend and DECA mentee Lauren Lin (11) commends Shreeya’s welcoming personality and kindness.

“She has the ability to make anyone around her feel comfortable,” Lauren said. “She won’t ever think that she is better than you or above you in any way, even though she has been my boss through BEcon. I have always felt like I could call her a friend. She has always been very warm and welcoming. She always comes and hugs me whenever I see her.” 

Outside of business, Shreeya also brings energy and positivity to her everyday classes. Upper school history teacher James Tate noted how Shreeya brought thoughtful conversation to her history class and displayed her passion for the topics she spoke about.

“She is extremely enthusiastic and energetic about the stuff that she’s passionate about like issues, people and events,” Tate said. “She has a lot to say and really drives a room full of people when she’s talking about something she is passionate about or something she has an interest in. She is a dynamo on issues she wants to be energetic about.”

While Shreeya uses her marketing skills to inform a wide audience, she discovered music as a way to relate with other people in a completely different way at the age of nine. After learning how to play new instruments, write insightful lyrics, record herself and produce her own music, Shreeya began developing her debut EP during high school. 

Shreeya finds that writing lyrics allows her to cope with difficult emotions while connecting with others. Shreeya recognizes music as a powerful agent to connect herself with others. 

“Music has been the way that I have expressed myself since I was nine years old,” Shreeya said. “Whether it is something as small as my seasonal allergies or whether it is something as big as my biggest trauma, it always makes its way into a song. Almost every emotion I have ever felt has been put into some form of music that I have created throughout my lifetime. Music has been my home. I am really looking forward to putting out my debut EP and being able to share it with people later.”

Music is one of the main channels for Shreeya to share her emotions with others, and close friend Alena Suleiman (12) recognizes Shreeya as an outwardly engaging person as well as a thoughtful and reliable friend who is always available to speak about difficult feelings. 

“I think outwardly she is just very charming, very charismatic,” Alena said. “She draws people in. But once you get to know her, she is also very introspective. She thinks a lot, and she thinks very deeply. Her greatest quality is her capacity to care for other people. I think that is so rare. Especially in our generation and time where a lot of people are concerned with themselves, she has this insurmountable capacity to care for other people.”

Throughout her life, Shreeya always works to be one to consistently aid and care for others. From marketing and multimedia to music creation, Shreeya remains resilient and compassionate in all aspects of her life. Whether she is helping someone promote their business or writing a song for others to relate to, Shreeya hopes to leave a positive effect on everyone she works with.

“The glow that I am able to put in others and the way I am able to see people light up as a result of my efforts is so rewarding,” Shreeya said. “Whether it is my guidance or my support for something, I love being able to help other people shine. There is this physical radiance that I can see in people when I know that they’re proud of themself or they know that they’re doing something that they love, and my ability to contribute to that is what makes it worth it.”