Humans of Harker: Competing with composure

Anya Chauhan shines with kindness and resilience on the soccer field and in the classroom.
“Soccer brought out competitiveness in me and a desire to be better, not necessarily than everyone else, but more than the past version of myself. On my soccer team, people come from all different backgrounds, but everyone comes together, and you prove yourself on the field,” Anya said. (Shaina Cohen)

It’s the beginning of the second half of the game against her rival team, and Anya Chauhan (12) needs to plan out the best play for this key moment. She sprints down the field and dodges the other defense players, skillfully moving the ball down the field. Aiming for the high corner of the goal, Anya shoots and scores, leaving the goalie to stand in shock while her teammates erupt into cheers. Their celebration makes this moment even more special for Anya. 

After watching her older brother’s soccer games, Anya developed an interest in the sport and joined a recreational league at the age of three. Although she initially did not like soccer, she quickly fell in love after she started to play in a competitive league because there were more opportunities to play.

“Soccer brought out competitiveness in me and a desire to be better, not necessarily than everyone else, but more than the past version of myself,” Anya said. “On my soccer team, people come from all different backgrounds, but everyone comes together, and you prove yourself on the field.”

Because Anya started playing soccer, she sees the effect of the lessons playing soccer taught her every day. From playing on different teams in and out of school, Anya learned the importance of working together as a team.

“Soccer has taught me a lot of lessons about persistence and the importance of relationships and maintaining those relationships,” Anya said. “If you’re not getting along with someone off the field, it’s likely that on the field there’s going to be tension too, and it’s just not going to work. It’s important to just keep yourself on good terms with everyone and be welcoming and encouraging on the field.” 

Not only does Anya play club soccer, she also plays soccer at Harker. For her, the most notable difference between club soccer and soccer at Harker is the level of pressure. Although soccer at Harker is less competitive, Anya enjoys how she can bond with her teammates. 

“At Harker, it’s not about being great, it’s just about putting your best effort in and being welcoming,” Anya said. “We take people from all different backgrounds. You don’t have to ever have played before, but it’s just about making it fun in a way for people and making the experience fun. For club soccer, it is about having fun, but also about winning.”

Anya’s maturity and responsibility shines on the soccer field and in the classroom. Upper school teacher Jonathon Rim notices how Anya’s leadership and helpful personality play an important role in their advisory.

“She’s a natural leader,” Rim said. “ If I need something done in class, I could count on her.  If we have emergency drills, I’m a sweeper, so that means I’m going to get there later. She’s one of the ones that is in charge of doing attendance for me, so it shows that I really trust her.”

Anya’s kindness and ability to connect with others not only helps her as a soccer player, but influences her friendships as well. Close friend Rani Patel (12) first met Anya in sixth grade through mutual friends and grew closer to her since then. Anya’s hard working and caring personality struck Rani as Anya’s greatest strength.

“She is really sweet and quiet at first, but once you get to know her, she becomes more social and warms up to you,” Rani said. “[Hanging out with her is] just fun. You’re always laughing when you’re with her, so it’s always fun to be around her.”

Close friend Nila Dharmaraj (12) met Anya in middle school science class and was originally drawn to her because of her funny and outgoing personality. Nila admires Anya’s resilience and strength as qualities that help her in all areas of life. 

“There was this one day last summer where we hung out the entire day,” Nila said. “We went on a sunset drive together, which was so fun, and then we went swimming together and had this nice, long talk. It was a really fun day. We’re able to talk about so many things when we’re together. It’s such an open friendship and it’s so nice to have someone to talk to. It was so carefree and light hearted.”

Although playing soccer at a high level presents some challenges for Anya, she appreciates it for the balance it helps her maintain in life. When school becomes overbearing and stressful, Anya knows she can always turn to soccer to help keep a healthy lifestyle and embrace her competitiveness.

“I tend to be tired a lot of the time because I’ll have practice and then I have to get home and I’m tired, but I still need to work out of school,” Anya said. “But at the same time, it’s a good outlet. If I have major tests or something, then it’s a good way for me to clear my mind in between.”