Varsity boys volleyball succumbs to Archbishop Mitty 0-3

Setter Adrian Liu (12) sets the ball for middle blocker Edis Mesic (12) during the team’s game against Archbishop Mitty. The varsity boys volleyball team currently holds a 10-1 league record. (Suhani Gupta)

The varsity boys volleyball team succumbed to Archbishop Mitty 23-25, 21-25, 19-25 in a three set loss on April 16.

Mitty opened the game with the first serve, winning the point by blocking a Harker hit. Taking the early lead, the Monarchs sustained a tight defense and prevented the Eagles from earning points off their strong swings. The Eagles struggled to match the Monarch’s dominance, falling behind 4-9 and calling a timeout. Harker fought on, with a hit by opposite hitter Kyle Johnson (12) and a clutch block by Zachary Blue (12), putting the Eagles back in the game. With the score tied 17-17, middle blocker Rahul Yalla (11) executed a kill that soared past the Monarchs’ blockers, pulling the Eagles in front. 

For the rest of the set, the two teams remained locked in a tight battle, trading hits and blocks, with neither able to maintain a lead of more than two points. With the score reaching 23-24, the Eagles and the Monarchs engaged in a tense rally. A hit by Mitty ultimately ended the set, despite libero Topaz Lee (10) diving to save.

The close competition continued into the second set, where the Eagles won the first point off their serve. Consecutive blocks by Kyle and Rahul maintained their narrow advantage, 13-12. With Mitty quickly closing down their lead, Harker’s numerous attempts at kills landed out of bounds and the Eagles fell behind 15-20. A hit from the Monarchs won them the second set 21-25.

Eva Cheng

“We still have to improve on our ability to play together,” Topaz said. “Also our mentality, we’ve got to stop giving up in our games the second we can see that the other team can play and retaliate. After we do that, we’re gonna be a hard team to beat.”

Mitty continued to build on their momentum moving into the third set, competing with strong offensive plays. The Monarchs shut the Eagles out with their hits and quick returns, taking the lead 6-0 and prompting Harker to call a timeout.

Upon returning to the court, a strategic tip over the net by outside hitter Spencer Mak (12) and another by middle blocker Edis Mesic (12) brought the score to 5-11. Kyle stepped up with a kill that penetrated Mitty’s defense, garnering cheers from his teammates and the audience in the stands.

As the Monarchs neared the win with a seven-point lead Harker mounted an impressive comeback. Hits from outside hitter Liam Jeffers (11) and middle blocker Kairui Sun (10) brought the score to 18-23. An incomplete block by Harker for the game point lost them the final set, 19-25. 

While the result of the game was disappointing for the players, the tough competition unified the team. Spencer remarked on the team’s growth throughout the season.

Eva Cheng

We’re definitely more coordinated as a team,” Spencer said. “Before, it was more of figuring out ourselves and just individually getting better. As a whole, we came together again. Moving forward, I’m hoping to see us put up more of a fight.”

Head coach Mason Tufuga expressed his pride in the team. He noted that although the game did not go their way, he has seen the team take initiative and improve throughout the season.

“I put a lot of responsibility on them, especially the captains, and they’ve responded well,” Tufuga said. I’m proud of the product that we put on the floor regardless of the result of the game. I know for a fact that we weren’t proud today, and we’re looking forward to being better the next opportunity that we get.”

The varsity boys volleyball team currently holds an overall record of 6-6 and is set to compete against Monta Vista in an away game on April 24.