Candidates for ASB deliver speeches at school meeting

Kaitlyn Nguyen (11) asks candidate for ASB president Jimmy Lin (11) a question. Students were given the opportunity to pose any inquiries or concerns they had about the candidates' plans for the next school year following the speeches.

Melissa Kwan

Melissa Kwan

by Rashmi Iyer, Reporter

Juniors, sophomores and freshmen listened to Academic Student Body (ASB) candidates’ speeches today during school meeting in the gym. ASB serves as an intermediary council between class councils and the administration and represents the student body as a whole.

While two students, Darren Gu (11) and Neil Ramaswamy (10), ran against each other for the position of vice president, Megan Huynh (11) and Jimmy Lin (11) ran unopposed for the positions of treasurer and president, respectively. No one submitted a form of intent for the position of secretary, and the administration is currently deciding on how to resolve that issue.

Having been the treasurer for the Class of 2018 for the past two years, Megan wishes to extend her knowledge and experience she gained through working with her class to the whole study body.

“I am running for treasurer because I just want to continue on what I have been working on student council for the past two years and to be able to represent the school, not just my class now,” she said.

The only sophomore to run for ASB this year, Neil feels that his work ethic and experience from being on his class council, albeit in a different position, would make him a strong vice president.

“I’m running for vice president because I want to make real lasting change,” he said. “From my experience from being on the council for two years, I’ve come to realize that projects are kind of sometimes forgot about. They’re not really pursued enthusiastically, and I’m going to make sure that whatever I do, even if it fails in the end, I’m going to make sure that I give it 110 percent and make sure that nothing is keeping us hanging.”

Students will vote tomorrow during lunch in the journalism room. Voting for this election will proceed in a process of approval voting, meaning that students can vote for multiple candidates, as opposed to the instant runoff voting system school elections have utilized in previous years.