Spirit Week Day 4: Students and faculty dress as “twins,” build Lego castles

Juniors Alex Zhong and Andre Lu attach additional pieces to support their Lego tower. Alex and Andre won first place in HSLT’s Lego castle building competition. (Janam Chahal)

Upper school students and staff wore matching outfits for Twin Day and built Lego castles outside of Manzanita Hall during lunch on Thursday.

Harker Spirit Leadership Team offers students and staff a chance to earn spirit points by dressing up throughout Spirit Week. Students who “twinned” with their peers could check in with HSLT representatives inside Manzanita Hall. For Thursday’s theme, students were required to check in alongside their twin or group.

The daily dress-up themes encourage students to explore outside of their day-to-day fashion. Friends Haden Andrews (11), Shiv Deokar (11) and Ryder Hewitt (10) donned matching Golf Wang button-ups to honor the brand’s creative director, Tyler, the Creator, and show off their shared interest in music.

“What inspired my Twin Day outfit was our collective love for music,” Haden said. “Especially the combination of music and fashion, which has a lot to do with Golf. We also love the artist behind [the fashion label].”

HSLT also organized a Lego castle building competition. The group initially planned for each class to participate separately, but after delays due to rain, students from different classes worked together on their castles.

Sophomores Pavith Khara, Audrey Dagum, Minal Jalil and Eden Kelly don matching outfits for Thursday’s Twin Day dress-up theme. Students who “twinned” with their peers could check in with HSLT representatives inside Manzanita Hall for spirit points. (Janam Chahal)

“There were some hiccups as the plan was changing,” HSLT member and event leader Hannah Jeon (10) said. “None of us were completely sure what we were going to end up doing, but we feel like it [ended up] going smoothly.”

Students collaborated to construct their towers for the last 20 minutes of lunch. HSLT Community Committee Coordinator Anish Jain (12) and Associated Student Body Spirit Coordinator Luke Mehta (12) judged the castles based on height, visual appeal and creativity, awarding juniors Andre Lu and Alex Zhong first place. Both winners received Lego Minifigure packets as a prize.

Upper school drama teacher Brandi Griffith stopped by towards the end of the competition and noted the impact of these smaller events on the community heading into Friday’s spirit rally. 

“I think these touchpoints during a week like Spirit Week boost the morale and keep the momentum of the excitement going into the big rally on Friday,” Griffith said. “It’s always fun to pop in and see who gets creative and jazzed about these sorts of things.”

Alison Yang and Brandon Zau