Humans of Harker: Optimism in activism

Nathan Liu shares the spirit of collaboration through sustainability fundraising and sports
Katelyn Zhao
“One thing that he said that’s stuck with me is to focus on what you can control in life, and everything else will handle itself. Your effort, your attitude, that you can take care of. For everything else, just do what you can do, and it will take care of itself,” Nathan Liu (12) said.

The audience quiets. A warm light illuminates the center of the stage. Nathan Liu’s (12) fingers dance across the keys as he plays through the ups and downs of Chopin Nocturne at his benefit concert. His playing carries the dynamics and emotion of the piece, creating a slow but still lively performance.

Music plays an integral role in Nathan’s life. He has played the piano since a young age and now uses his musical skills in his fundraisers for his nonprofit.

“A couple of years ago, I got invited to a festival in Germany for music, and I got to learn from some of the best musicians in the world and meet some of the best young musicians in the world,” Nathan said. “More recently, I’ve started doing fundraising concerts. That’s given me more purpose to find more music to play.”

In freshman year, he hosted an online fundraising concert, with people submitting videos for their pieces. Nathan continued to hold concerts in sophomore and junior year, both in person. He also advocates for his cause at many different events.

Nathan first became interested in the impact of wildfires due to the frequent fires in California, and he researched the topic for his science research project in eighth grade. He created a fundraising video for fallen firefighters containing the results of his research and began the first steps to starting his nonprofit, the Silvanus Foundation. The nonprofit now focuses on climate change and sustainability, stemming from the wildfire research that Nathan did. He plans events for his nonprofit with a team of other volunteers that have worked in his organization over the years.

“Seeing how willing everybody is to contribute to the event, even though they don’t have personal gain has really stuck with me,” Nathan said. “It’s really great seeing how people are going to come together and put in work for a greater cause.”

Upper school math teacher Caren Furtado attended one of Nathan’s concerts, and she was impressed by his eloquence and conviction. She only taught Nathan for a few months, but he still hung out and went to Office Hours in her room after he left her class.

“Nathan played a very beautiful, very long piece, and he did a really, really good job of it,” Furtado said. “I was not expecting him to speak so confidently and address an audience, so I was proud to see him that way.”

Listening to the testimonials and personal stories of his audience members motivates Nathan to continue his fundraising and volunteering efforts.

“One story that really resonated with me was from one guy who came up to me after my performance,” Nathan said. “He was in service, and he lost a friend recently. And he said my performance was really impactful to him. He was glad that younger people are trying to help out, and that really excited him.”

Nathan finds that fundraising has helped him become more open to talking to people and expressing his ideas clearly. He now better understands other people’s experiences.

“In fundraising, I’ve had to talk to a lot of new people and to try to connect with them,” Nathan said. “When you want to get somebody to donate money, you have to connect with them and earn their trust in a really quick amount of time. I would like to describe myself as someone who’s willing to listen to other people.”

Nathan’s caring attitude translates to his sports teams, where his kindness shines through. Since picking up basketball at the age of 6, he has played on the basketball team throughout high school.

“Nathan brings an uplifting attitude to the court,” close friend and teammate Jordan Labio (12) said. “He’s always focused on his teammates, whether getting them the ball or in favorable spots where they can get easy shots. He’s totally unselfish, and he always tries his hardest on the floor, which I appreciate.”

Nathan also enjoys playing football and can often be found playing on the field with his friends during breaks and after school. Watching sports, especially football, is one of his favorite pastimes.

“I love to watch sports because of the really exciting moments, like when your team is down, and you get a huge comeback, or when your favorite team does something great,” Nathan said. “I enjoy the adrenaline rush of watching.”

Nathan draws inspiration from one of his favorite players, quarterback Drew Brees, both in improving his playing and in furthering his charity efforts. He admires Brees’s passion for advocacy and wishes to take similar action.

Whether he’s playing on a sports team or hosting a fundraiser concert, Nathan aims to maintain an attitude of positivity and optimism. Nathan’s father empowers him and influences his mindset, helping him maintain personal accountability.

“One thing that he said that’s stuck with me is to focus on what you can control in life, and everything else will handle itself,” Nathan said. “Your effort, your attitude, that you can take care of. For everything else, just do what you can do, and it will take care of itself.”

View Comments (1)
Suhani Gupta
Suhani Gupta, Reporter
Suhani Gupta (10) is a reporter for Harker Aquila, and this is her second year on staff. This year, Suhani would like to write many articles and interview new people. In her free time, she loves to listen to music and talk to her friends.
Katelyn Zhao
Katelyn Zhao, Humans of Harker Co-Editor-in-Chief
Katelyn Zhao (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of Humans of Harker, and this is her fourth year on staff. Katelyn aims to honor each of the stories within the Harker community this year, especially those of the graduating Class of 2024. Outside of the newsroom, she enjoys biking, drinking coffee or matcha and reading recommended books from her friends.

• J

JudyApr 26, 2024 at 12:34 am

Nathan’s confidence in his speech and penetrating performance were fully felt by the audience at the scene!

Reply