School Meeting 5/1: New leadership, Walk for Water and Downbeat

Jessica Hu
Downbeat members Isabella Ribeiro (12), Shayla He (12), Varun Bhupathi (11), Simon Kirjner (10), Ian Ogden (12) and Ethan Liu (12) perform “Levitating” by Dua Lipa during the school meeting. The performance served as a goodbye for Downbeat’s seniors.

Associated Student Body president Daniel Lin (12) opened the last school meeting of the year on Wednesday. 

He played a video from the newly elected ASB leadership, who expressed their excitement for the next school year. 

Harker Robotics then recapped the team’s activities since the beginning of this year. Executive President Aeliya Grover (12) announced the team’s results from the Sacramento Regional competition, where they were regional finalists and recipients of the Gracious Professionalism Award. Operations President Tiffany Gu (11) added that they also won the Judge’s Award and were again regional finalists at the Monterey Bay Regional. Technical President Chiling Han (11) encouraged students to join Robotics and inform rising ninth graders of the preparatory program in the summer. 

Indian Student Association co-founders Rayan Arya (11) and Rushil Jaiswal (11) announced the upcoming Holi celebration on May 17, which was originally postponed due to poor weather conditions. They also spoke of their plans to host a Bollywood movie night after AP weeks to help students destress. 

Afterward, Aditya Shivakumar (10) and Trisha Shivakumar (9) asked students to participate in the Walk for Water event, a 5K walk at the Los Gatos Creek Trail on Sunday. The walk is organized by Water1st International, which raises money for women and girls in Kenya who often walk for hours each day to collect water for their families. 

Charlotte Ludlow (10) then named the four Athletes of the Week: varsity swimmer Ashley Hong (12), varsity lacrosse player Chayce Milheim (11), varsity swimmer Adam Pawliger (11) and varsity tennis player Tanishk Konduri (9). Charlotte also gave a shoutout to varsity golf captain Jonathan Zhang, who won the individual league title at the West Bay Athletic League tournament on Tuesday. 

Newly-elected Associated Student Body president Sam Parupudi (11) expresses their excitement for the next school year. Previous ASB president Daniel Lin (12) handed off the role to Sam at the end of the meeting. (Jessica Hu)

Harker Conservatory representatives Shareen Chahal (12), Luke Mehta (12), Iris Cai (11), Sam Parupudi (11) and Jason Shim (11) named Downbeat member and spring musical lead actor Ian Ogden (12) as the Conservatory Student of the Month. Jason announced that this year’s Conservatory Senior Showcase will honor 19 seniors on May 18. He also commended the 17 seniors who performed at choral Senior Night on Friday. Finally, Downbeat performed a rendition to Dua Lipa’s song “Levitating.” 

Daniel thanked his fellow ASB officers, Upper School Division Head Paul Barsky, Dean of Students Kevin Williamson, Assistant to Upper School Dean of Students Kelley McCoy and the student body as a whole to close off his time as ASB president. He then passed his position on to Sam, who closed the meeting.