School Meeting 1/23: Kicks Against Cancer, CareerConnect, student exhibitions

Felix Chen
Conservatory representatives announce the dance production’s show times on Friday and Saturday and encourage students to attend. They also highlighted the Orchestra performance at the Green Music Center in Sonoma County on Thursday.

Associated Student Body President Daniel Lin (12) opened the school meeting on Jan. 23 and apologized for technical difficulties regarding the projector, which was unable to play videos and made the slides difficult to read. 

Captains of the boys and girls varsity soccer teams Anya Chauhan (12), Cynthia Wang (12), Ryan Barth (12) and Jack Yang (12) announced the beginning of the 2024 Kicks Against Cancer fundraiser, which raises money for Camp Okizu, a nonprofit organization providing supportive camp experiences for children with cancer and their families. The team will hold a bake sale every day this week during lunch and afterschool on Friday and sell handmade blankets, lanyards and other merchandise. Students will be able to support the cause by making paper chains or writing messages to Camp Okizu at the bake sale table. Students and staff can also buy from the Panda Express at 1320 El Paseo De Saratoga and show a Harker soccer flyer to send 20% of their proceeds to Camp Okizu. Both teams’ soccer games happen Friday on Davis Field, the girls’ game beginning at 4 p.m. and the boys’ at 6 p.m.

Upper School Mathematics Department Chair Anthony Silk discussed the mistreatment of the plastic chess pieces by students, reminding them that though they are made of plastic, the pieces are still expensive. He expressed disappointment in not only finding the black king piece decapitated but also discovering the head in the boy’s locker room, advising students to be honest and tell him if one of the pieces needs fixing.

Amishi Gupta (10) announced CareerConnect’s workshop on Tuesday during long lunch offering advice for interviews for internships or summer programs. She shared an opportunity to practice in a mock interview with a business professional of their choice on Thursday during long lunch.

Visual Arts Department Chair Joshua Martinez discussed the Honors Directed Portfolio student-created exhibitions which will be featured in the Shah Gallery over the next five weeks. The reception for Maya Cheshire’s (12) exhibition “Intus et Extra” happened on Thursday at 1 p.m., and Martinez invited students to enjoy the artwork their peers created.

Student Diversity Coalition representatives Dina Ande (12) and Elie Ahluwalia (10) discussed future SDC-led events, such as the Student Diversity Leadership Gathering on Feb. 4 and Culture Week the week of Feb. 26. During culture week, members of the community may participate in cultural performances, booths, food trucks and art showcases. They invited staff to  volunteer to help with checking students, distributing wristbands and managing lines for the food trucks. 

Conservatory representatives Shareen Chahal (12), Luke Mehta (12), Iris Cai (11), Sam Parupudi (11) and Jason Shim (11) advertised the 2024 Dance Production “Night and Day,” which performed on Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center. They congratulated the 2024 student choreographers and advised the audience to purchase tickets before the show sold out. They also announced the orchestra’s performance at the Green Music Center located in Sonoma County on Thursday at 7 p.m.