Journalism staff presents stories and initiatives at JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention

Director of Journalism Whitney Huang hands a sticker to a volunteer during the Humans of Your School session. During the presentation, the presenters held mock interviews for seniors to demonstrate the interview process of Humans of Your School. (Alison Yang)

KANSAS CITY – Seventeen Harker student editors presented at three sessions of the 2024 Journalism Education Association/National Scholastic Press Association National High School Journalism Convention on Friday. 

At the “Humans of [Your School]” session, senior Kevin Zhang, juniors Aryana Bharali, Katerina Matta and Jonathan Xue and sophomores Ella Guo, Ashley Mo and Claire Yu presented to over 75 attendees. 

Speakers emphasized the community significance of the Humans of Harker project, which showcases graduating seniors and their passions with in-depth profiles and environmental portraits. The presenters walked attendees through the publication process and provided several methods to implement similar programs at their schools, referencing examples of past Humans of Harker profiles. 

“I was super excited to present the Humans of Harker project,” Ashley said. “I’ve done a few Humans of Harker articles over the years, and I really enjoyed the process. I was really happy with how [the presentation] turned out: the audience seemed to enjoy it, and they asked a lot of questions.”

“Bringing Smiles to Your Staff” presenters pose for a photo. Pitched by Whitney Huang, this was the presentation’s inaugural run. (Emma Milner)

The inaugural presentation of “Bringing Smiles to Your Staff” followed with over 60 attendees, sharing tactics to foster community and friendships within a staff. Student presenters talked about building relationships among staff, highlighting how other schools may include activities and ideas into their program to brighten moods and commend journalists on their work.

Junior presenters Vika Gautham, Steven Jiang, Isabella Lo, Young Min, Charlize Wang, Jessica Wang and sophomore Suhani Gupta highlighted Harker journalism’s Cub/Big initiative, which pairs experienced staff members with Introduction to Journalism students, and Winged Post “Wowzers,” videos that celebrate the team’s hard work on the print paper. Speakers also distributed blank “shoutouts,” staff-designed cards with encouraging messages for others, to audience members to fill out and invited them to share.

Student journalist Alessandra Trusk from Davis Senior High School enjoyed learning about Harker journalism’s community-building initiatives and planned to share them with her own staff.  

“I got a lot of ideas of things to bring to my school to introduce the students into the upper level class,” Alessandra said. “I really liked how you guys are very appreciative of each other. There’s a lot of notes and letters that get sent around, really just highlighting students and their works.”

“Comfort the Afflicted and Afflict the Comfortable” presenters pose for a photo. The session had over 50 participants. (Kevin Zhang)

Juniors Felix Chen, Katerina Matta, Emma Milner and Alison Yang presented “Comfort the Afflicted and Afflict the Comfortable” to over 50 attendees in the afternoon. The presentation explored the reporting of controversial issues and the importance of diverse sourcing and coverage, giving a glimpse into several of Harker’s diversity, equity and inclusion-focused pieces. The presentation also covered the publication’s process for addressing community responses and feedback. 

Attendee Josephine Petersen from Albert Lea High School looked forward to implementing the knowledge she gained during the presentation at her own school to encourage her peers to speak up about controversial issues. 

Director of Journalism Whitney Huang takes a photo during the Comfort the Afflicted and Afflict the Comfortable presentation. The presentation explored the reporting of controversial issues and the importance of diverse sourcing and coverage. (Kevin Zhang)

“I’m from a small town with very strong political opinions that are not really inclusive,” Josephine said. “I want to just slowly get it to where those kids who aren’t necessarily in those opinions can feel safer in this school and not feel like they have to hide who they are.” 

Battle High School journalism adviser Mechelle Neuerburg similarly hoped to implement guidelines for engaging with responses like those that the presenters shared. 

“The talk was engaging because it really broke down a very good plan to deal with the controversial topics that you might be covering,” Neuerburg said. “I learned the most from the process that you guys developed for responding to criticism. That’s something my students really need to take in.”

Following their presentations, students recharged with dinner at Café Gratitude, an organic vegan restaurant. They return from their trip on Sunday.