Spirit Week Day 3: Regatta and belly flops make a splash

Margaret Cartee
Senior Saahil Kajarekar paddles the class of 2024’s regatta floatie across the pool. “I think it’s cool because a lot of the students put all their time into the spirit stuff,” belly flop judge Kadar Arbuckle said. “I actually really like how they make it more official with the judges. I was just here today to add to that.”

Students and teachers competed in the regatta race and belly flop performances at the Singh Aquatic Center during lunch, and pink clothing dominated the campus’s outfits for Wednesday’s dress up theme On Wednesdays We Wear Pink.

The juniors narrowly beat out the seniors in the regatta race, while the sophomores and frosh trailed behind in third and fourth place. The class of 2025 earned 200 spirit points, followed by the class of 2024 with 150 points, 2026 with 100 points and 2027 with 50 points. Four students from each grade manned a round pool floatie, and each group used a paddle to help them row back and forth across the lane.

Harker girls swim team member Shimeka Sahu (10) participated in the sophomore regatta team along with Yash Greene, Janam Chahal and Ishan Mysore.

“Collaborating with the rest of my team was fun, and the race was exhilarating,” Shimeka said. “My favorite moment is when I fell off the boat, and my teammates weren’t mad at me. They were just like, ‘Ok, we’re going to help you back in.’ All four of us agreed that we would do it next year.”

The frosh regatta team finishes the race across the pool during lunch on Wednesday. The class of 2027 came in fourth place in the regatta and third place in the belly flop showcase. (Mendy Mao)

The poolside events continued with the non-competitive belly flop showcase. The class of 2026 group won, followed by the class of 2025, 2027 and 2024. Sophomore performers earned Starbucks $5 gift cards as a reward. Frosh Samaara Patil and Demi Zheng opened the belly flops with a short dance to “Don’t Let Me Down” by The Chainsmokers before diving into the pool.

“It was a little bit scary, honestly, being in front of everyone,” Samaara said. “But it was really fun to know that I got to have this memory with my friends in my first freshman spirit week.”

Sophomores Stanley Chen, Timmy Chen, Spencer Chang, Kairui Sun, Brady Tse and Terry Xie presented the next belly flop, acting out the idol scene from “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and an elaborate fight sequence. Juniors Sam Parupudi and Jia Jia Jiang performed a dance to “Careless Whisper” by George Michael, and seniors Anish Jain, Daniel Lin, Kai Stinson and Kabir Buch acted out a short game of football to “Ima Boss” by Meek Mill and Rick Ross.

Judges Michelle Martinez, Kelley McCoy and Kadar Arbuckle graded belly flops based on a rubric which rated the height and diameter of the splashes as well as the flair of the performance.

Sophomores Sophie Pellet and Nat Tan anticipate the results of the regatta race on Wednesday. “Collaborating with the rest of my team was fun, and the race was exhilarating,” Harker girls swim team member Shimeka Sahu (10) said. (Margaret Cartee)

“I think it’s cool because a lot of the students put all their time into the spirit stuff,” Arbuckle said. “I actually really like how they make it more official with the judges. I was just here today to add to that.”

Biology teacher Matthew Harley and history and social science teachers Carol Green and Jonathan Rim acted out a scene to the lyrics of “I’m Just Ken” by Ryan Gosling. Frosh Arav Vuppala, Nikhil Bawa and Liam Lee splashed into the water to their original hip hop song about jumping into the pool. Juniors Caio Cammer and Rajas Apte closed the belly flops with an affectionate performance set to “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley.

“[My favorite moment was] our flop in and seeing people’s reactions afterwards,” Caio said. “I enjoyed this event because it was entertaining and a great way to bond with my friend. It gathers a large amount of the school into one area and allows less spirited classmates to display themselves.”

Throughout lunch, students who dressed up in Wednesday’s pink theme could check in for spirit points with Harker Spirit Leadership Team representatives outside Manzanita Hall. Crafts and Conversations club also hosted a small table outside of Manzanita with pink craft supplies like string, beads and Rainbow Loom rubber bands.

Students can match outfits with each other to earn spirit points for Thursday’s twin day theme, and HSLT will also host a LEGO castle building competition in Manzanita Hall at lunch.

Alison Yang and Charlie Wang