Friday Five: Best Childhood Mobile Games

With all the new apps out there, it’s easy to forget about the classics that once brought us so much joy. (Jessica Wang)

Do you ever find yourself mindlessly scrolling through the same few apps on your phone, craving something else to explore? I know I do. Whether your go-to app is TikTok, BeReal or Instagram, sometimes it’s important to break out of your routines and try something different. And what better way to do that than to re-download some of your favorite childhood games? 

With all the new apps out there, it’s easy to forget about the classics that once brought us so much joy. So here’s my take on the top five best childhood mobile games: whether you’ve left them in the past or still have them on your phone, let’s take a trip down memory lane and rediscover the happiness and excitement they once brought us!

5. Cut the Rope 

Starting off strong is Cut the Rope, a game full of candy, cute animations and interactive elements. For those who may not remember, the goal of each level is to feed Om Nom, an adorable green monster, by cutting strings that dangle a piece of candy above its head. Players must experiment with air cushions and bubbles to successfully maneuver the candy into its mouth, and as they advance through the levels, more obstacles come into play. From trying to figure out which rope to cut first or how to avoid the candy-shattering spikes, each level comes with a new set of challenges that require strategic planning and perfect timing. All in all, the only minor downside of this game is the limited number of levels as there’s little incentive to continue playing once you’ve beaten them all. Nevertheless, Cut the Rope (and Om Nom!) will forever hold a special place in my heart. 

4. Dumb Ways to Die

“Dumb Ways to Die, so many dumb ways to die …” I sometimes find myself humming this infectious tune, the theme song for the game Dumb Ways to Die, which I first downloaded in third grade. What’s fascinating is that this app was created by an Australian railway company to educate teenagers on safety measures — crazy, right? The game features silly and absurd ways to “die,” such as taking your helmet off in space, poking a stick at a grizzly bear and shaking a hive full of angry bees. In order to help the game’s adorable characters avoid these deadly scenarios, players must complete a series of mini-games and challenges to earn points, with the objective of achieving the highest possible score while only having three lives to spare. One particularly exciting level, and my personal favorite, involves rescuing a little blue character trapped amidst raging flames. Essentially, players must tap the screen as quickly as possible to extinguish the fire, making the level both exhilarating and nerve-wracking. Whenever I need a good laugh, Dumb Ways to Die never fails to bring a smile to my face with its humorous scenarios and catchy theme song.

3. Candy Crush

Next on the hierarchy is Candy Crush — how could I exclude it from this list? It’s pretty much impossible to talk about childhood games without mentioning Candy Crush, and to be honest, I still have it installed on my phone (and I’m not ashamed to admit it!). As implied by the name, Candy Crush is a puzzle game that involves matching colorful candies in rows or columns to score points. With each level, new obstacles are introduced, like chocolate and meringue blockers that block the player’s ability to make matches. I also love the game’s boosters, especially the ones that eliminate a whole line of candy or grant extra moves. Candy Crush requires a balance of deliberate planning and wit, making it suitable for players of all ages. It’s no surprise that this game has become a cultural phenomenon, drawing millions of players worldwide. To put it simply, I’ve got a “sweet tooth” for Candy Crush!

2. Plants vs. Zombies 

Coming in at second place is Plants vs. Zombies, a creepy classic that’s hard to forget. In this game, the player takes on the role of a homeowner who must strategically place a variety of plants on their lawn to prevent a horde of zombies from devouring their brains. From the moment I downloaded the app, the eccentric graphics and creative gameplay captured my attention. Not to mention, the unique abilities and attack methods of the plants had me hooked! My personal favorites include the wall-nut, which serves as a shield to block zombie advances, the jalapeño, which creates a lane of fire that scorches all zombies in its path and the hypno-shroom, which hypnotizes a zombie and turns it into a temporary ally. As the game progresses, players unlock and upgrade to? new, advanced plants that are more effective during zombie battles. Overall, Plants vs. Zombies is one of the most innovative mobile games ever created, and its position as a close runner-up on my list is well-deserved.

And finally, first on the podium is….

1. Subway Surfers

Subway Surfers takes the crown as my all-time favorite childhood mobile game! It’s the perfect combination of timeless gameplay, exciting features and endless fun. I’ve been hooked since day one, and I’m currently on a mission to beat my personal best of 103,550 points. In the game, players guide their character to escape from a relentless police officer and his dog by swiping their way through an endless array of obstacles — fast-moving trains, pesky barriers and treacherous tunnels. Along the way, players also collect coins and power-ups to boost their score and add to their overall points. I love the ability to customize characters in trendy outfits and unique boards, and I constantly compare with friends to see whose avatar has the best style. But what really sets the game apart is its global competition: players from all around the world can compete against each other for the top spot, making every playthrough an adrenaline-fueled race to achieve the highest score. And with regular updates that introduce fresh locations and limited-time surprises, Subway Surfers manages to stay relevant, engaging and exciting year after year. Trust me — once you start playing, you won’t be able to put your phone down.