Friday Five: Harker desserts

Emma Li
At first bite, my worries melt away as the beauty of these sweets shine through and overshadow any lingering feelings of regret. And with that, here are my top five favorite Harker lunchtime treats of all time.

After devouring delicious, savory lunch foods, I often find myself craving a sugary dessert to cleanse away the undesirable aftertastes of marinara and the like. Often, I choose to seek out a package of sweet poison, despite my own guilt reminding me of my despicable addiction to sugar. However, the following five desserts wipe away any doubts I have. At first bite, my worries melt away as the beauty of these sweets shine through and overshadow any lingering feelings of regret. And with that, here are my top five favorite Harker lunchtime treats of all time.

5. Brownies

The rich and complex flavors of this brown, gooey, rectangular dessert never fail to make me, an avid chocolate lover, swoon. When done perfectly, a brownie should be cracking slightly at the top, adding a crunch and doubling the satisfaction of savoring this dessert. While this treat is generally only for chocolate lovers, anyone can appreciate the authenticity that stems from the simplicity and purity of this dessert. That being said, these sugary sweet bombs of fudgy goodness tend to be a bit overwhelming sometimes, even for the most avid chocolate lovers. As delicious as I find chocolate, even I can only eat a small brownie before I have to drink some water to cleanse my mouth of the overpowering sensation of warm chocolatey goo. While excessively chocolate-y in mass amounts, if eaten in small quantities, the brownie is still an amazing dessert. Though it is perfect for cavities, it still manages to send me to chocolate heaven.

4. Vanilla Cupcakes

I love a nice, sweet, frosting-and-sprinkles decorated cupcake, and the cupcakes served during lunch at Harker are no exception. Something about cupcakes just makes them special: perhaps it is the classic combination of soft, light frosting and airy, vanilla-infused cake, or perhaps it is the crunch of sprinkles that occasionally decorate the cupcakes. There is so much beauty in a simple vanilla cupcake with plain white frosting, and yet, this vanilla cupcake is a nightmare to eat. That tends to be the weak point of many honorable, respectable cupcakes, as whenever I try to take a bite (and if someone has a way to avoid this happening, please let me know your secret), my nose says hello to the frosting as it smears all over my face. How can I take a perfectly even bite with both cake and frosting without having half the frosting assault my nasal organ? They do say perfection is unattainable … though these next three desserts really come close.

3. Rice Krispies

Surprise, another classic! By now, you may have realized that I have fairly simple tastes when it comes to desserts — and food, in general. I remember my old swimming lesson building had a snack shop in the front lobby, and every time I finished a session, I would treat myself to a nice, delectable Rice Krispie square. And Rice Krispies come in so many different, delicious varieties:  chocolate-covered, sprinkle-covered, even as cereal! Every so often at the bistro, a bowl of perfectly rectangular Rice Krispies, whether chocolate-drizzled or sprinkle-bedazzled, appears, sugar-seeking hands ready to empty the bowl. From the sweetness of childhood nostalgia to the multiple delicious varieties of this treat, Rice Krispies hold a special place in my heart.

2. Oreo Cupcakes

Now, the bistro hasn’t offered these cupcakes in a while, but they are absolutely delicious. A classic chocolate (and sometimes vanilla) cupcake, with an oreo cookie placed on the bottom of the cupcake, as well as oreo crumbs scattered across the frosting resting upon this heavenly treat. Not only that, the center of the cupcake is filled with a sweet cream that only increases my enjoyment of this dessert. The only flaw of this dessert that lands it in second place, rather than first, is the fact that it is a nightmare to eat for neat freaks (and those simply wishing to have frosting-free nostrils), as I mentioned when complaining about the equally inconvenient vanilla cupcakes. However, this cupcake is still amazing, with the oreo adding another level of texture to the sweet treat.

And finally, last, but definitely not least, my favorite Harker dessert…

1. Chocolate Chip Cookies

An absolute classic, found in the auxiliary gym, sometimes in the bistro or in the cookie jar that our beloved receptionist and water polo coach Ted Ujifusa guards at the front desk, these delightful goodies are scattered throughout campus, bringing light and laughter to wherever they are. On good days, when the cookies are fresh, they’re crunchy, perfectly sweet and, best of all, not a mess to eat, as you can simply wrap them in a napkin and go. The baked cookie dough itself is already delicious as the source of that oh-so-satisfying crunch. As an extra touch, the chocolate chips placed throughout the cookie add gooeyness, along with an extra pop of sweet and rich flavor and truly make this cookie what it is: a perfect, delectable treat.