One Pant Leg Up Thursdays

Morgan Douglas (9), Kaitlin Hsu (9), Serena Lu (9) and Julia Huang (9) showcase their rolled-up pant legs. Students have rolled up their pant legs to celebrate Darrens new fashion trend, OPLUT.

Jackie Gao

Morgan Douglas (9), Kaitlin Hsu (9), Serena Lu (9) and Julia Huang (9) showcase their rolled-up pant legs. Students have rolled up their pant legs to celebrate Darren’s new fashion trend, OPLUT.

A new trend, One Pant Leg Up Thursdays (OPLUT) began Oct. 30 among the freshmen class.

According to his Facebook post, Darren Gu, the Vice President for the freshman class, decided to start OPLUT to “carve his own path in fashion” even though some of his friends say that one pant rolled up does not fit with the current fashion.

The new fashion trend resulted from Darren’s admiration of bikers as avid athletes.

“For biking, it’s a way to be different,” Darren said. “It is also exhilarating. When you bike on the road, its kind of scary sometimes. It’s scary, but not scary. It’s like you’re living life on the edge.”

He created this trend by combining the fashion of bikers and the current trends.

Darren says he often bikes with his close friend, Maxwell Wohrmann (9). Most bikers would fold their pant leg up because their right pant leg gets caught with a part of the bike. He also lacks confidence with the current trend where the leg is folded to the calf, so he decided to fold it all the way up to the knee.FB

As the day proceeded, many other freshmen decided to join OPLUT. Although today’s weather was slightly colder, they believe in the importance of supporting their friend in his new idea.

“Darren’s a really unique person,” Amy Jin (9) said. “I think it’s just a part of him; he wants to start a new trend. I see many people with one pant leg up this Thursday and I think it will spread across the entire student body.”

On the other hand, other students lack confidence in Darren’s innovative fashion. They do not believe the new trend will spread among the student body.

“It is getting cold and winter is coming, so people will not want to roll up their pants,” Shaya Zarkesh (9) said. “But overall, I think this trend looks alright.”

Darren hopes his new fashion will spread to at least half of the students body because as of right now, only his friends in the freshman class participated in the event. He says he will continue to advertise his idea on the Facebook page: One Pant Leg Up Thursdays.