Matriculation ceremony starts off the 2014-15 school year

On+Aug.+22%2C+students+and+faculty+gathered+in+the+quad+for+the+annual+Matriculation+ceremony.+The+Upper+School+student+council+representatives+depicted+the+rules+of+high+school+in+their+Freshman+101+skit%2C+which+was+inspired+by+television+shows.+

On Aug. 22, students and faculty gathered in the quad for the annual Matriculation ceremony. The Upper School student council representatives depicted the rules of high school in their “Freshman 101” skit, which was inspired by television shows.

Students and faculty gathered in the quad for the annual Matriculation Ceremony, which officially began the 2014-15 school year.

Christopher Nikoloff, the Head of School, began the event with a speech inspired by a TED talk. He encouraged students to embrace their remembering and experiencing selves this year.

“By achieving the right balance between these two selves, we hope that you will find a life that is waiting for you both this year and beyond,” Nikoloff said.

After Nikoloff’s speech, the Cantilena choir group directed by Susan Nace, director of Cantilena and Camerata, sang “Dancing and Singing.” Following the performance, Upper School Division Head, Butch Keller, reminded students that they need passion, commitment, effort, awareness, persistence, and diligence to achieve their goals.

“What matters to you?” Mr. Keller asked. In his speech, Keller reminded the Upper School students that they should pursue things they care about.

ASB president Sarah Bean (12) formally welcomed the freshman class in her speech. Sarah explained her experiences at the Upper School, and advised the freshmen to make new friends and enjoy their time in high school.

“All that matters is this very moment, and having fun in it,” Sarah said.

After Sarah’s speech, the 2014-15 student council representatives held the annual “Freshman 101” skit. This year, the representatives imitated characters from famous TV shows, including “Keeping up with the Kardashians” and “Drake and Josh.” In this skit, the student council members covered topics including club activities, the importance of grades, trash cleanup, and the bonds freshmen can make in high school. During the skit, the Class of 2018 and other new students to the Upper School signed the Honor Code.

The String Quartet, consisting of four seniors, also performed at the Matriculation ceremony. Students such as Nikita Ramoji (11) thought the performance was one of the best parts of the ceremony.

“The string quartet was amazing, they all clearly practice and work hard on their music,” Nikita said.

Throughout the remainder of the day, students spent time with their advisories and took yearbook pictures.

The first day of classes will begin on Monday, Aug. 25.