Interact sells Pinkberry and Pizookies during club week

Neha Premkumar (11) holds her purchase of Pinkberry from Interact. Members of the organization sold Pinkberry and Pizookies during their club week to fundraise for education for girls in Burkina Faso.

Julia Huang

Julia Huang

Julia Huang

by Julia Huang, TALON Academics Editor

Interact sold mango, chocolate hazelnut and tart flavored frozen yogurt from Pinkberry with unlimited toppings for $5 and Pizookies for $3 this week for their club week, raising about $1,600 for education for girls in Burkina Faso.

Members of the club participate in community service events. The biggest event of the year is the Fall Leadership Conference, during students from multiple schools gather together to learn about the projects of the year. Interact works with clubs at other schools to hold charity events such as the Annual Harvest Festival and the Area 7 Benefit Show.

Every year, the Interact district has a new community project and international project. The community project focuses on service in the local community, and the international project involves fundraising for an international cause. Last year, Interact fundraised to help survivors of human trafficking and Syrian refugees. This year, for the first time, Interact combined the two into an “intermunity” project that aims to help marginalized people–both in the Bay Area and in Burkina Faso–with an emphasis on sustenance and education. As a whole, Interact aims to raise $100,000 and complete 75,000 service hours. All proceeds from their club week will go to the fundraising half of the project.

“Interact is known for a lot of things because there are Interact clubs all around the world, but our motto is ‘service above self,’” Interact president Serena Lu (12) said. “As it suggests, we do a lot of community service work and fundraising. Harker Interact is fortunate to be part of District 5170, the largest district in the world, and that means we get to do all of that while interacting with some really cool peers.”

There will be no club week next week. Green Team’s club week, the second to last club week of this school year, will be held the week of April 16.