Upper school students perform in annual Spring musical

Tiffany Wong

Upper school students perform in the spring musical “Bye Bye Birdie” on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.

by Zachary Hoffman and Tiffany Wong

Parents, friends, students and teachers gathered to watch the Harker Upper School’s production of the musical “Bye Bye Birdie” on Thursday, April 12.

“Bye Bye Birdie,” written by Michael Stewart, is a satire about pop music and the second World War. The story was inspired by the singer Elvis Presley’s draft notice into the United States army in 1957. The original Broadway production of “Bye Bye Birdie” won the Tony Award for Best Musical in 1961.

“I like the play this year because it features a huge cast and so even if you are not a major character, you still have your moment,” Chandler Nelson (12), who plays the role of the Mayor’s Wife, said. “I play a character who hangs out in the back, but she gets one part of the show to really take center stage, which is nice because every single background character gets that and nobody feels super excluded.”

Upper school students perform in the spring musical "Bye Bye Birdie," showing on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.
Tiffany Wong

Tickets went on sale for Thursday, Friday and Saturday night shows as well as the matinee on Saturday throughout the school week, with tickets for the Friday night performance selling out before the end of the week. Student tickets were $8, adult seats were $15 and reserved were $25.

“I am looking forward to having all of our friends coming to watch it,” Matthew Hajjar (9) said. “We have been working on it for a long time now and I am excited to see how people react to it because I am pretty sure the audience will love it.”

Before their Thursday night show, the cast performed for retirement homes on Wednesday.

“It was a really cool experience and we were given the unique opportunity of using our passions for something good,” Anika Banga (10), who plays the role of the Mayor’s Daughter, said. “All of the people who came really enjoyed it and seeing the joy that we gave them was really heartwarming.”

Namitha Vellian (12) and Kayvon Solaimanpour (11) perform in lead roles in the spring musical "Bye Bye Birdie," showing on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.
Tiffany Wong
Namitha Vellian (12) and Kayvon Solaimanpour (11) perform in lead roles in the spring musical “Bye Bye Birdie” on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.