Humans of Harker: Soundtrack of compassion

Shayla He channels her creative voice to instigate change
Tiffany Zhu
“If there’s something that you’re trying to make work but it doesn’t, just mess it up and disrupt it. Because then maybe you’ll consider putting it back together in a new way. So much stuff doesn’t work out in life, but in the end, it can be changed,” Shayla He (12) said.

A powerful voice resonates through the theater, each original lyric sung carries a hopeful message. Under the spotlight’s glow, Shayla He (12) gazes upon the crowd. She notices tears trickling down the cheeks of some audience members who feel deeply moved by the heartfelt lyrics she pours into her performance. 

Initially drawn to singing, Shayla began her musical journey at the age of eight. But she discovered a deeper passion for songwriting in middle school after feeling unfulfilled by simply performing other people’s works. 

With a guitar, keyboard and notebook, Shayla can compose lyrics and melodies to a song in under thirty minutes. Crafting her own songs provides her the freedom to customize the keys to perfectly complement her voice. Although her first songs expressed lighthearted ideas about topics like the sky, she now uses her compositions to communicate messages that are important to her. 

“I started seeing a lot of social disparities that I didn’t want to happen,” Shayla said. “And I don’t want future generations to have to think about why nobody else in the past tried to address them. Given that music is something that is easiest for me to communicate with, I started using it as a channel to express my concerns.”

Shayla’s musical journey brought her to perform on the platforms of competitions like SFBAC NATS and various philanthropic events. After attending these opportunities, she also began releasing her songs on platforms like Spotify, and knowing strangers enjoy her music stands as a proud moment for Shayla. Close friend since third grade Ella Lan (12) attributes the exceptional quality of Shayla’s songs to her own distinctive quirks. 

“What makes Shayla different from other singers is that she not only is great at executing the notes, but she also incorporates different elements into her songs and music videos, which just make it more Shayla-esque,” Ella said. “She really puts thought into each of the lyrics, which is what makes it so compelling when you listen to them.”

In middle school, Shayla began volunteering at a homeless encampment in San Francisco, where she also interviewed people who lived there and gained profound insights into the diverse stories. She hoped to share these with a larger audience by intertwining her music with these inspiring narratives. 

By connecting with people from diverse backgrounds and performing her songs at various events, Shayla broadened her reach and impact. These experiences not only touched other people’s lives but also provided her with valuable societal insights about complexities of the world. 

“I started becoming more conscious about things that were happening around me,” Shayla said. “So my evolution in songwriting has evolved with me as a socially conscious individual. Eventually, as I understood more about society and interacted with more people, I started to have more profound themes in my songs.”

After being moved by the people she met, Shayla realized that everyone holds a unique story to tell, and everyone deserves to have a voice. This journey shaped her into a more empathetic individual, sensitive to all the narratives that shape the human experience.

“I sacrifice my time and energy to help my friends and peers,” Shayla said. “Everyone deserves to have someone who can help them in times when they need it, and I want to be remembered as someone who anyone will be able to reach out to when they have issues. I can find the time for it because if you want to do something, you can always find the time.”

Driven by a passionate commitment to addressing homelessness, Shayla also uses machine learning to conduct research on the subject. She embraces creative approaches, using modern technology and storytelling through music to contribute innovative solutions to real-world problems. Through all her endeavors Shayla sticks to her morals, which close friend Gautam Bhooma (12) commends. 

“One thing that really struck me about her is her commitment to doing the right thing,” Gautam said. “Sometimes we have long philosophical discussions about what’s right and what’s wrong. She has a really strong moral compass, and I really gained a lot of respect for her from that.” 

Within the school community, Shayla founded the Music Creation Club, a platform where she enjoys sharing her musical passion with others. R​​ecognizing the vulnerability of sharing original songs, she sought to create a safe space for writing, recording, and performing.

Shayla consistently finds joy in brightening other’s days and adopts a lighthearted approach even in potentially stressful situations like the college admissions process. College counselor Martin Walsh recalls the uplifting attitude she brought towards such endeavors.

“When I think about her approach to the application process, she did an amazing job of maintaining a sense of humor at every meeting, and even on the essays,” Walsh said. “I can’t think of an interaction I had with Shayla that didn’t leave with her smiling. She was incredible to work with, while at the same time being insightful and thoughtful about her work.”

Advocating for social change seems daunting at first, but Shayla uses her genuine passions to make a difference. Despite setbacks both behind the scenes and on stage, she understands that creativity frequently emerges at unexpected times, fueling her resilience in the face of challenges. 

“If there’s something that you’re trying to make work but it doesn’t, just mess it up and disrupt it,” Shayla said. “Because then maybe you’ll consider putting it back together in a new way. So much stuff doesn’t work out in life, but in the end, it can be changed. Sometimes the pieces are there, and they just need more thinking to fit together.”