Nikoloff presents first talk in the “Who Are You” series

Ruhi Sayana

Head of School Nikoloff addresses students during the first seminar in the “Who Are You?” series, held in the Main conference room at long lunch on Wednesday. The students explored the topics of connections between the body and mind and what consists of “self.”

by Ruhi Sayana, Reporter

Head of school Christopher Nikoloff presented his first talk in the “Who Are You” philosophical series during long lunch yesterday in the Main conference room at 12:45 p.m.

Every year, Nikoloff conducts a series of seminars revolving around a certain philosophical idea throughout the year. Previous years’ topics have included “The DNA of Thought,” goodness, leadership and truth. This year’s topic was the self and what it truly means to be one.

Nikoloff began with a brief introduction, followed by posing the questions, “What does the self mean?” and “What does it mean to be you?” Topics revolving around the ideas and roles of the mind, spirit and body were also discussed. Many ideas presented during the talk were from The Book (on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are) by Alan Watt.

“The students were really making great contributions,” Nikoloff said. “This is a difficult, heady, and personal topic, so they did great.”

Eighteen students showed up to this session; students receive a certificate if they attend all six lectures.

Alexander Young (9) was a first-time attendee of the upper school seminar; however, he also attended the lectures in the middle school. He mentioned a contrast between this year’s and last year’s topic.

“I think the topic this year is quite interesting as well,” he said. “This year’s topic is based on the self, and I think it provokes more interesting discussion and talk compared to last year’s.”

Megan Swanson (11) found the discussion interesting because the topic had been addressed in one of her classes.

“The idea of self is obscure and impossible to fully understand,” she said. “We’ve been talking about this in AP French class. Our theme is self, quête de soi.”

Apart from students, staff attended the session. Diane Main, Director of Learning, Innovation, and Design at the Upper School and a first time attendee, found the discussion intriguing.

“I’m very interested in this concept of identity,” she said. “These are things I hadn’t really considered. [I]t’s just new ideas, and new ways of thinking about identity, different than what I’ve done before.”

Yesterday’s talk was the first of six upcoming lectures that will be held throughout the year. The next seminar will go deeper into the subject of self and will be held on Dec. 9.