GSA club holds events during club week

Several students attended the Gay-Straight Alliance’s (GSA) salsa dancing activity yesterday during long lunch.

The event took place in the dance room from 12 p.m. onwards and consisted of dance teacher Karl Kuehn and GSA advisor Abel Olivas instructing students in basic salsa dancing techniques.

“Since Mr. Olivas has a history of dancing and teaching salsa, we thought it would be good to teach a fun class for multiple students. Salsa doesn’t have any [specific relevance to] the LGBT community, but it’s just fun for everyone,” Kuehn said.

In addition to finding the salsa event very exciting, Kuehn also said that his high school did not have such events, and he believed the selling of the sweets and wristbands were quite successful in terms of raising awareness within the community. Club Advisor Abel Olivas agreed with Kuehn, and to the importance of awareness.

“It’s important for [students] to just know that there are gay people in their midst and also to just learn more [about the LGBT] community to break down stereotypes, to dispel myths, to educate, [and] to make them more aware,” Olivas said.

Prior to hosting a salsa dancing lesson, GSA also sold food items, pride bracelets, and distributed rainbow stickers as part of their fundraiser. The profits from the fundraiser will benefit Outlet, an organization which aims to support and assist LGBT youth.

“Our main focus is to [let others know] that there’s no underlying, like homophobic social pressure here, but then we want to extend our reach to other areas where this money is currently going through a therapy group for LGBT kids who live in areas that aren’t necessarily as accepting as the Bay Area,” club member Sarah de Vegvar (10) said.

GSA plans to host similar events during its club week next year.