Homecoming preparations begin

With the Homecoming game approaching in about three weeks, students have already begun preparations for Homecoming festivities.

The four classes will compete for first place throughout the week of Sept. 29 to Oct. 4 with their painted eagle, parade float, and skit. There are also small spirit event competitions that will occur during lunch and the rally events such as the homecoming court obstacle course, tug of war, and scream-off. Classes also receive additional points for dressing in their “mythical city” attire on their designated dress-up day. The seniors will be representing Batman’s Gotham City, the juniors with J.K. Rowling’s Hogwarts, the sophomores with Frozen’s Arendelle, and the freshmen with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

This past week, classes finalized their class t-shirt designs. These shirts are to be worn for the homecoming and also the spring spirit rallies. Typically designed with a catch phrase or picture relating to the grade, the seniors’ shirt took a different turn. It has a hand-drawn smiley face adorning the front and a customizable hand-written back with “(name) has seniuritis.”

“I can honestly say I’ve never seen a class shirt as a hand drawn smiley face, so I think it definitely makes our grade stick out in some way or another,” said senior spirit commissioner Arjun Ashok. “A lot of the advisors liked it a lot due to it’s simplicity, and who doesn’t love a happy person?”

The junior class also finalized its t-shirt design on Monday night after student council made an error allowing students to vote multiple times on Athena2, which led to unequal results. The final vote was between a paint splattered “LIV1NG LE6ENDS” and “HOOL16ANS”, in which “LIV1NG LE6ENDS” won.

Even without a student council, the freshman class was able to decide on a t-shirt design. Justin Su (9) and Maxwell Woehrmann (9) designed the class of 2018’s t-shirt with the words “WE ARE INCRED18LE” in the front and this quote from Disney’s The Incredibles: “NO CAPES.”

In addition to hosting the dodgeball tournament today, which officially begins the homecoming battle for first place, Spirit club had its first meeting where they brainstormed ideas for the homecoming court obstacle course and made rules for the activities. They have also been trying to increase participation in class competitions.

“The spirit board’s been working really hard to make homecoming really fun, and thanks to their work I think this year homecoming is gonna come together really well,” junior spirit commissioner Edward Sheu said.

Homecoming court nominations will be posted on Friday and the final round of dodgeball will happen next Wednesday.