College counseling starts for the class of 2014

Juniors enter the counseling office, which is located near the front office in Main. The counselors will be guiding the students through college applications and selections.

The juniors attended their first college counseling class during extra help yesterday to prepare for the upcoming college application process.

College counselor Nicole Burrell explained the topics that will be covered in college counseling this year. On Tuesday, the counselors gave the juniors an overview of their year in college counseling.

“Really, the two goals of this year for the juniors are to help them in a slow organized fashion to understand the process of college applications and to have them make their college lists so that the students do not have to scramble during senior year,” Burrell said.

Junior Lea Daran does not like that she will have to miss her extra helps for the remainder of the year and did not expect to start college counseling in her junior year.

“I will definitely miss my extra helps, and I think it’s weird that I am a junior and am going into college counselling,” she said.

While the college counselors primarily aim to help students in the process of applying to various colleges, some students have already made their plans and will use this guidance to check if they are prepared for college.

“I feel like I know what I need to do already but this will still be useful to tell us what we have missed or to give us advice on our college plans,” Damon Aitken (11) said.

Now that second semester has started, many colleges have informed current seniors about their acceptances. Several seniors look back at their college counseling class as useful guidance.

“It took up my time, but I think it’s a very good resource for everyone to have,” Erik Andersen (12) said.

Students in the class of 2014 will now spend every Tuesday after school gaining more information about applying to college next year.