Gym Jam changes – no longer an overnight event

During Gym Jam on Saturday, August 25, freshmen gather in the quad to greet one another and plan various activities for this school year. No longer an overnight event, Gym Jam lasted from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Upper School campus.

Incoming high schoolers had a chance to bond and prepare for the upcoming school year on Saturday, August 25 from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. during Gym Jam.

An annual event for students of all grade levels, Gym Jam allows the chance to plan and test spirit based activities that will occur throughout the year, while also giving students the opportunity to see friends and welcome new freshmen before school starts.

“We try to mix up the groups at Gym Jam so that there are freshmen and new kids in every group along with some of our spirit board members and student council members,” spirit co-president Nicholas Chuang (12) said.

In addition to playing games, students also had the opportunity to break off into their individual grades and discuss class spirit.

“It’s kind of a nice way for everybody to meet on a non-academic day and get to play and goof around and have Mr. Keller barbecue for us,” Activities Coordinator Kerry Enzensperger said. “It’s just a day of fun. It’s a nice way to begin the school year.”

According to Nicholas, some of the games played at Gym Jam this year included tag, conquest, and a form of water polo which may be a spirit event later this year.

While the games change every year, a major alteration to Gym Jam this year is that it is no longer an overnight event. Enzensperger said that many students were unable to attend due to the fact that the sleepover was right before school started. Whereas Gym Jam previously started at six, hosting the event from two to 10 also allows more sunlight for outdoor activity. Additionally, spirit co-president Andre Tran (12) said that having the event during the day facilitates the job for teacher chaperones, since they are usually preparing for the upcoming school year.

“Since [Gym Jam is] the weekend before school starts, the sleepover was kind of hard to do because everyone got tired before school started, so I guess this is just a better way to hang out and get together with friends you haven’t seen for a while,” said Gym Jam veteran and spirit member Keri Clifford (12).

Freshmen and first time Gym Jam attendee Rachel Renteria agreed with Keri, but for different reasons.

“I met new people which I think is honestly a good thing for me,” she said. “I think the day thing is good [if] you don’t really know anyone.”

According to Enzensperger, the reaction to this change has been generally positive and more people showed up this year in comparison to previous years.