Students vote for Recreate Reading book choice

Sally Zhu

Trisha Variyar (11) looks at the Recreate Reading book board in Manzanita. Recreate Reading voting opened yesterday for upper school students.

by Sally Zhu, A&E and Lifestyle Editor

The annual Recreate Reading registration opened yesterday for students in grades nine to 11 at 9:35 am on Infinite Campus, presenting a selection of 70 books or topics to be read over the summer. 

Recreate Reading is the upper school’s required summer reading program, where students choose from a wide range of books and discuss them the following year. Each title is sponsored by a faculty member or co-sponsored by a student, and freshman, sophomore and juniors placed their first choices on the Infinite Campus registration yesterday, and voting will close on March 18. 

Student groups, which are limited to around 15 people, will first meet with their faculty members on March 28 and will meet again to discuss their readings in-depth on Aug. 25. 

This year’s choices also include five author visits, where the authors of the books will join students for a Zoom visit on Aug. 25. Featured authors include Mary Smathers, Robin Ha, Rebecca Kuang, Harker alumni Wajahat Ali and Sanjena Sathien. 

In addition, eight students will be co-sponsoring books this year, presenting a book of their choice alongside a faculty member. The librarians decided to start the student sponsoring program two years ago to give students even more of a say in which books to read over the summer. 

“At the upper school, we really like the Recreate Reading program, because there is so much choice, you can read pretty much any book that you want, and if it’s not on the list, you can sponsor it,” upper school campus librarian Meredith Cranston said. “It really gives students choice about what they read, and it also gives students a place to discuss and laugh and question, and everything in between.”

From dystopian fantasy novels perfect for the avid world-building lover to evidence-packed historical readings about government and nations to internet-popular “Book Tok” reads, Cranston believes there’s a book in the list for every student to enjoy. 

“There’s such a wide variety of books, no matter what you like to read, if you want to read nonfiction, if you want to read something that’s thought-provoking, if you want to read something that’s just pure escapism, if you want to discuss a topic with a subject expert, or just to have a really great discussion and have some fun, there’s a book for you on that list,” Cranston said. “That’s why I’m super excited about the list we have this year.”