Yale Spizzwinks brings harmony home

Emma Milner
Daniel Wu (’22) performs “If Ever I Would Leave You” by Robert Goulet. Daniel and The Spizzwinks visited Harker as a destination of their “Hometown Tour.”

Threads of voices weave together, uniting into a rich, almost instrumental sound. Unique stories, expressed through singing, intertwine and transcend barriers to create a sanctuary for the audience. Yale acapella group The Spizzwinks performed at the Quad as part of their “Hometown Tour” series during lunch on March 14. 

Per the Spizzwinks’ promise, the group guarantees that every member will visit their hometown and all six inhabited continents within their three years in the program. Daniel Wu (‘22), a former Downbeat member and current bass in the Spizzwinks, invited the group to Harker during his hometown tour.

“I really wanted to come back here and sing because I wanted to work with Downbeat and work with the performing arts students,” Daniel said. “The performing arts program at Harker was a big reason why I wanted to do acapella in college and a big reason that I got to sing with these guys and do what I’m doing today.”

Tenor I Elijah Lee commenced the performance with “Spaceman” by Sam Ryder and Bass Jiayang Jin followed with “Chicken Fried” by Zac Brown Band. To finish the first half, Daniel sang “If Ever I Would Leave You” by Robert Goulet. 

“I really enjoyed it,” upper school math teacher Bradley Stoll said. “We used to have acapella groups that came quite often, and would sing at school meetings, so I’ve missed them. This is a great performance, and if I was in San Francisco, I would go see them.”

The performing arts program at Harker was a big reason why I wanted to do acapella in college and a big reason that I got to sing with these guys and do what I’m doing today.

— Daniel Wu ('22)

Starting the second half, tenor II Gbemiga Salu sang “Put Your Records On” by Corinne Bailey Rae and tenor II Tabatha Stewart performed “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye. Baritone Charlie Stephenson continued with his rendition of “Grace Kelly” by MIKA, and baritone Eduardo Pagliaro-Haque and tenor I Clark Wu concluded the concert with the Plain White T’s “Rhythm of Love.”  

Mariana Ryder (12) collaborated with Daniel in Downbeat two years ago.

“It was really inspiring, having worked with Danny in the Conservatory before and also seeing him go from a senior [at Harker] to a sophomore in college,” Mariana said. “It was also really nice because a lot of my friends actually do listen to the Spizzwinks unironically on Spotify, so they got to see a concert that they were hoping to see for a long time.”