Michelle Dirck teaches dance master class at the Upper School

More than 20 students danced to “Someone Like You” by Adele in a master class with Michelle Dirck. The class was organized by Karl Kuehn and Amalia De La Rosa and was held on November 18th at the Upper School.

On Friday, November 18th, more than 20 students gathered in the Upper School dance room for a master class with teacher/choreographer Michelle Dirck, organized by dance teachers Karl Kuehn and Amalia De La Rosa.

“I have worked with Michelle for numerous years, both creatively and as a dancer of hers […] We hired her this year to be a choreographer for the Upper School dance production [because] I thought it would be a great way for Harker students to be exposed to other instructors and choreographers in the area,” said dance teacher Karl Kuehn, who is also a member of Dirck’s M Production dance company.

After stretches and warm-ups, all levels of dancers learned a routine Dirck herself had choreographed to “Someone Like You” by Adele. The choreography demanded technical showmanship and featured fast-paced learning.

Many students enjoyed dancing her choreography while others found it more technically challenging.

“I liked how Michelle urged students to dance with passion, whether or not they could execute the dance moves,” said senior Sona Sulakian. “However, the class was a little fast for non-dancers, [or not very] flexible people, and she expected the students to know the jazz terms. I feel like the class would appeal to more people if it was simplified a little.”

Several students are looking forward to a similar event in the future.

“It was really fun,” Savi Joshi (9) said. “She’s a great choreographer. I’m looking forward to another master class organized by the dance department.”