Out of the nest: Walk the High Line

NEW YORK — Twenty Harker Journalism students and staff visited the High Line, a former freight line turned public park, on March 14. They walked through Chelsea on the elevated line, exploring greenery, architecture and art.

New Yorkers and tourists alike traverse the High Line every day, a unique and immersive strip of nature in the bustle of New York City. The 1.45 mile long walkway is the product of architects and designers James Corner Field Operations, Diller Scofidio + Renfro, and Piet Oudolf. A series of rotating art exhibitions spruce up the walkway, from Karon Davis’s curtseying ballerina in “Curtain Call” to Cosima von Bonin’s band of trout in “WHAT IF THEY BARK?”

The park’s landscaping is inspired by the plants which took over the freight line after its closure. As visitors walk south from the Hudson rail yards towards Chelsea Market, the gardens change from lush wetlands to low grasses to flowering orchards.

Wander the High Line with Harker Aquila and find out why New Yorkers do as well.

Yaneira: Well, the High Line is really popular in Chelsea because when you think about it, after Eighth Avenue, you just don’t have a thing going on. And now people are outside. The walk is cute, the buildings; it’s just really nice to walk. Like I said, it’s like a museum.

Drucilla: And this view, it’s also kind of relaxing.

Brandon: I see that you’re a photographer?

Trevor “Fresh”: I’m trying to get into it, photography.

Brandon: So what drew you to High Line?

Trevor: To be honest, my nephew and my brother. They normally come here to hang out and just create ideas in terms of content, making music or even just listening to music. I thought to myself, “Why don’t I just put on an outfit and just come out here to take some pictures? Why not?”

Alison: What’s your favorite part of High Line here?

Trevor: Literally just here, because it’s my first time being in this area. I just like the fact that it has grass and there’s a lot of lighting. So, just this strip mainly.