Humans of Harker: Venkat Sankar hikes to surround himself with nature

%E2%80%9COften+times%2C+humans+try+to+isolate+themselves+from+nature.+People+want+to+sit+in+their+house+next+to+a+computer+a+lot+of+the+time%2C+and+I+feel+like+in+a+way+it%27s+those+moments+%5Bin+nature%5D+that+remind+you+that+nature+can+be+infinitely+interesting.+It+can+be+something+that%27s+like+a+life+long+journey%2C%22+Venkat+Sankar+%2812%29+said.+

“Often times, humans try to isolate themselves from nature. People want to sit in their house next to a computer a lot of the time, and I feel like in a way it's those moments [in nature] that remind you that nature can be infinitely interesting. It can be something that's like a life long journey,

“Often times, humans try to isolate themselves from nature. People want to sit in their house next to a computer a lot of the time, and I feel like in a way it's those moments [in nature] that remind you that nature can be infinitely interesting. It can be something that's like a life long journey," Venkat Sankar (12) said.

by Sharon Yan, Student Life Editor

Immersed in nature’s serenity, Venkat Sankar (12) relishes the feeling of independence when out on a hiking trail by himself. Surrounded by nothing but wildlife and the outdoors, he frequently takes pleasure in spotting bobcats, coyotes, grey foxes, elk, bald eagles and other small mammals.

“I’ve always liked the idea of being in nature, walking around,” he said. “I enjoy going hiking in places where I can see a lot of wildlife, so I like going to Henry Coe State Park for example because it’s kind of peaceful. You can go really far away from civilization and see all kinds of animals.”

His pastime of hiking stemmed from a young age ever since his family moved near a country park, allowing him to spend more time in nature and explore his fascination in different species of wildlife.

“I remember one time several years ago when I was maybe like 10 or something, I was hiking up by my house, and I was all alone, no one else was there, and I saw a coyote and two pups,” he said. “They were walking right up to me. I stayed totally quiet and just froze and just kneeled down, and they walked right up, maybe 20 feet away.”

In a pursuit to learn more about mammals, he traveled to Mexico where he roamed the land with a researcher from another country, despite the language barrier.

“I feel like there are certains things that can connect you even beyond a gap like a language barrier, and I feel like one of those things is an interest in nature and an interest in wildlife,” he said. “I feel like in the end, [the researcher and I] became friends even though the language barrier was there. Both of us connected with each other well. My parents connected with him really well too because we all enjoy nature, we all enjoy wildlife.”

Sankar views hiking not as a form of exercise but more as an outlet for relaxation and a chance to experience nature.

“Often times, humans try to isolate themselves from nature. People want to sit in their house next to a computer a lot of the time, and I feel like in a way it’s those moments [in nature] that remind you that nature can be infinitely interesting. It can be something that’s like a life long journey.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Humans of Harker: Venkat Sankar hikes to surround himself with nature”

1. Mason on September 20th, 2018 9:16 am

Interesting story

*

• Humans of Harker: Venkat Sankar hikes to surround himself with nature

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Neymika Jain finds balance in life

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Haley Tran values her cultural identity

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Aashish Jain finds inspiration in painting through watching Bob Ross videos

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Andrew Tierno reflects on his passion for robotics

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Sneha Bhetanabhotla learns to connect robotics and dance

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Molly Wancewicz speaks out through debate

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Alex Mo uses photography to inform his worldly and personal perspectives

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Colt McNealy finds a passion for golf

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Varun Haltore finds new passions in high school

Class of 2017

Humans of Harker: Saketh Gurram develops a passion for football