Synopsys Science Fair

Nastya Grebin (9) explains her research project at the research symposium. She conducted her research with her partner, Anooshree Sengupta (9).

The 2015 Synopsys Championship of Santa Clara County California, which took place on March 11 at the San Jose Convention Center highlighted high-level research of 27 Harker students making Harker one of the best schools at the science fair.

Middle school and Upper school Harker students displayed their work . This year, 52 Upper School students participated.

“There were so many unique and interesting projects this year” says Anita Chetty, Upper School Science Department Chair.” “Each year, the research questions become more complex and I have noticed that students sometimes have trouble completing projects by the Synopsys deadline. This is not a bad thing. It reminds us that research is a slow, continuous process.”

Harker students were also awarded the highest honor at the science fair. Grand prizes and Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) qualification were awarded to Jonathan Ma (11), Sadhika Malladi (11) and Nitya Mani (12) and 9 other participants from different schools at the fair.

“Research builds a unique skill set,” says Chetty. “There are the usual lab science process skills but there students also develop skills in literature review, effective writing and oral communication skills. Research also enables character development. Besides testing your ability to think creatively and to troubleshoot effectively, research challenges you to go become resilient, learn from your mistakes, modify, tinker, and persist.”

Nastya Grebin (9) and Anooshree Sengupta (9) recieved an Honorable Mention in the bioinformatics category for their project titled “The Classification of SNPs in the SMAD4 Gene on the Development of Pancreatic Cancer in a Human Using a Machine Algorithm.” Their project is the crossroad between their respective interests. In Nastya’s case, that is genetics and in Anooshree’s, It is machine learning.

“[In research] there isn’t really a failure. You just need to try harder or learn from your mistakes, or learn from the results you were not expecting” Said Nastya, “That has kind of taught me to view everything with both skepticism and deciding ‘hey, my hypothesis worked, but what could have gone wrong?’”

Sadhika and Jonathan spoke about their project as well.

“ Our project tries to find genomic differences between male and female cancer patients and then translates those differences into how affected the treatment would be” Sadhika said.

Throughout their experience, they continued to develop their research.

“Initially, we were not sure how far we would be able to take it. We knew there would be good results, but we weren’t sure if they could be verified and if our framework would be valid enough. Now we’re moving on to doing live tissue experiments and we are thinking about extending our framework to other demographics”.

The duo also plans on conducting further research for ISEF. “ We’re investigating a few more drugs that we didn’t have time to investigate prior, but now since we made it to ISEF we’re looking more into those” said Jonathan. “ We’re also looking into additional methods for statistical validation.”

Both Sadhika and Jonathan also have future projects on other topics. “ We’re thinking about working on this project, but also doing individual projects in the upcoming summer” Sadhika said.

Overall, the Synopsys Science Fair awarded students for their hard work and dedication to in the field of scientific research. The ISEF competition at which our school will be represented takes place on May 10-15 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on April 22, 2015.