Upper school community marvels at partial solar eclipse

Victor Gong
Students and staff witness the partial solar eclipse with special solar viewers. These glasses prevent eye damage by filtering out harmful radiation from the Sun.

Students and staff across the upper school campus gathered outdoors during lunch on Monday, with eyes, through lenses and filters, affixed to the sun. The partial solar eclipse seized the spotlight on the first day back from spring break, bringing an uncommon spectacle to the community last seen in 2017. 

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth as a result of an alignment of orbits. Depending on the distance between the moon and the viewer’s location on Earth, the moon can obscure the sun at different magnitudes. Observers from states like Texas, Missouri and Illinois witnessed a total solar eclipse, with the moon fully blocking the sun.

Although the path of totality of the eclipse primarily passed through the East Coast down to Texas and Mexico, viewers across the Bay Area still saw around 35% coverage, with the maximum eclipse occurring at 11:15 a.m. and ending at around 12:22 p.m. Partial eclipses occur due to an imperfect alignment between the sun, moon and Earth at certain points of view, causing only a portion of the sun to appear covered. 

While taking glimpses of the sun, physics and research teacher Chris Spenner noted how crucial it is for eclipse observers to take proper precautions.

Often, we’re so absorbed by our daily lives, so this is a good chance to see the bigger world outside.

— Chris Spenner, physics and research teacher

“For students wanting to witness the eclipse, protection is important,” Spenner said. “If you stare at the sun, especially through a telescope, it’s going to focus the light down to a spot in your retina and just burn through your eye.

To provide a close-up view of the eclipse, Spenner set up a telescope with a solar filter outside Nichols Hall. Dozens of students and staff gathered in the area, taking turns to get a clearer look at the eclipse. 

Spenner also brought his Research class to view the partial eclipse through the telescope during Monday’s second-period class. As the students took turns looking through the filtered lens at the sun, Spenner used the opportunity to quiz his students on sunspots and other solar phenomena.

“We talked about things you can see on the sun and things that I would like for people to know just about the world around them,” Spenner said. “Often, we’re so absorbed by our daily lives, so this is a good chance to see the bigger world outside.”

Provided by Kuo-Nan Yang

Those curious about the eclipse could also view the phenomenon through a cardboard pinhole telescope set up outside Nichols. The telescope projected an image of the sun onto a surface when light passed through a tiny hole cut in the front. Astronomy enthusiast Owen White (12) commented on the convenience of a pinhole camera.

“It’s super easy to make. I’ve made pinhole telescopes like that for partial solar eclipses,” Owen said. “Pinhole telescopes are also a super fun way to view [the eclipse]. I’ve been looking forward to it all day.”

During the latter half of morning classes and lunch, math teacher Bradley Stoll and Computer Science Department Chair Eric Nelson handed out pairs of solar viewers to those hoping to take a look at the eclipse. These special glasses filter out harmful radiation from the sun, protecting the eye from potential damage.

“I’ve never actually seen a full solar eclipse and haven’t really been in the path of one yet, but this is kind of cool,” Stoll said.

The next total solar eclipse will occur on Aug. 12, 2026, with totality passing through Greenland and Northern Spain.