Green Team speaker highlights methods and mission behind sustainable farming

William Chen ’03 discusses organic farming, GMOs and agricultural advocacy
Victor Gong
William Chen ’03 lectures to Green Team about sustainable farming on Stanford’s O’Donohue Educational Farm. Besides talking about his own experiences, Chen also discussed the harmful effects of pesticides and herbicides, the benefits of eating organic foods, and ways to support sustainable farming.

Green Team invited Harker alum William Chen ‘03 to present on sustainable farming on Monday. Chen is the facility and production coordinator at Stanford’s O’Donohue Educational Farm and has previously worked with several other farms across California.

Chen began by briefly introducing his background and work on the Stanford educational farm, which contains crops ranging from vegetables and fruits to herbs and flowers. He spoke about a flower arranging service that he started with one of his co-workers to grow various species of flowers and provide bouquets to events at the Stanford campus. Chen aims to teach people how to start their own gardens and guide them on the methods of organic farming, such as composting.

In the second half of the talk, Chen discussed the dangers of herbicides and pesticides as well as genetically modified organisms. Many common herbicides and pesticides are toxic to both plants and humans. The use of these chemicals in agriculture directly affects the lives of everyday people, as herbicides and pesticides leave residues in the soil and the air. Furthermore, research shows that the chemicals can also cause cancer

“It’s crazy to think that we all probably have that chemical to some degree, and if not you, your parents,” Chen said. “I’m here to change that.”

Nonetheless, large agricultural corporations today still utilize a variety of chemicals to reduce the chances of crop failure and improve their yield. Chen explained how Monsanto, the company behind the popular herbicide brand RoundUp, which is now a subsidiary of Bayer, donates millions of dollars per year to research corn and soybean genetics in an effort to modify the crops to accept toxic pesticides.

Chen believes that eating organic foods over GMO foods can make all the difference in health and taste. He recalls the rich flavor of a fresh, organic tomato compared to the bland taste of the processed version.

“Large-scale farming fed us and grew the population, but we’re also unhealthy and have garbage food,” Chen said. “I didn’t know what a tomato tasted like until I started farming. I originally thought McDonald’s and Burger King tomatoes were tomatoes, but that’s some watery fruit that they put inside some bread as cheaply as possible. If you think about the power and reach that these fast food chains have, it’s insane.”

I didn’t know what a tomato tasted like until I started farming. I originally thought McDonald’s and Burger King tomatoes were tomatoes, but that’s some watery fruit that they put inside some bread as cheaply as possible

— William Chen '03

To conclude his talk, Chen highlighted the importance of supporting sustainable farming, which can be done by buying local over imported produce. Event attendee Rajas Apte (11) also believes that everyone should buy locally, especially in California, where there are many farms.

“Be conscious of where you get your produce from,” Rajas said. “There are so many resources around us. There are farms everywhere, and even in the Santa Cruz area, there’s been a lot more popping up. We have a lot of local growers that don’t really get a lot of attention.”

Ultimately, advocating for change and educating others are crucial ways to promote healthy farming practices. Whether it’s engaging with local farmers or raising awareness about organic produce, everyone can contribute to a more sustainable future in farming, especially the younger generation.

Given the current focus on climate issues and the diverse career opportunities available, Green Team adviser and upper school Spanish teacher Diana Moss encourages students to consider a career related to agriculture.

“It’s interesting for Harker students to hear from professionals who have left Harker [and] graduate thinking they were going to do a traditional thing, and then somehow life sends them in a more non-traditional path,” Moss said. “I’m interested to see if maybe there [are students] who would consider, ‘I’m not going to go into engineering, I’m going to look into how I can support efforts to promote more sustainable actions in my career choices.’”