ASB candidates give speeches to student body

The candidates for Associated Student Body (ASB) delivered their speeches to the juniors, sophomores and freshmen today in the gym at 9:40 a.m. as a precursor to elections, which will be held on Thursday.

The ASB officers from last year were Sarah Bean (12) as president, Jessica “Fred” Chang (12) as vice president, Shikhar Dixit (12) as secretary and David Lin (12) as treasurer. This year, there were nine candidates, the same number of total candidates as last year: Dhanush Madabusi (11), Yuan “Ray” Song (10) and Shreya Sunkara (11) for treasurer, Shannon Hong (11) and Grace Guan (11) for secretary, Chris Hailey (10) and Sanil Rajput (11) for vice president, and Sandip Nirmel (10) and Michael Zhao (11) for president.

“This is really our last chance as seniors to really make a lasting impact on the school. So far, we’ve been taking a really secondhand seat, letting the ASB drive us for the past three years,” Michael said. “Now it’s really our time to step up and take responsibility for really what these past three years have been building up to.”

All of the candidates had the opportunity to speak to the juniors, sophomores and freshmen about their plans for next year and qualifications for their prospective positions during approximately three minute speeches. Each candidate discussed a variety of issues and plans to improve campus life including ideas for more forks during lunch period to the potential implementation of a Facebook page for all clubs.

Grace was the only candidate not to give a speech today; she recorded a video of her speech, which was shown to the assembled student body in place of her speech.

Following the speeches, Dean of Students Kevin Williamson introduced a new element to the assembly: a question and answer period with the candidates. Students were allowed to personally address candidates with specific questions about the ideas and promises proposed in their speeches.

Some students expressed their approval of candidates giving speeches to the entire student body in order to learn more about each individual potential officer.

“I think it’s helpful because a lot of times we don’t know [the candidates] that well if they’re upperclassmen, and so it’s helpful to get a glimpse into their personality and what they’re going to do in the future,” Evani Radiya-Dixit (10) said.

Although more underclassmen ran for ASB positions this year compared to last year, some sophomores and freshmen did not want to run for office due to doubts about experience in working with the student community.

“Looking at the candidates who are already running for ASB president, I felt like they had a lot more experience and would have a better sense of direction for the future of the Harker student body,” current freshman class President Jimmy Lin said.

Elections for ASB officers will be held on Thursday. Elections for class councils for juniors, sophomores and freshmen will be held in a later week in April.