Sweater weather

Madelyn+Wang+%2812%29+and+Archana+Podury+%2812%29+wear+sweaters+during+the+fall.+

Kavya Ramakrishnan

Madelyn Wang (12) and Archana Podury (12) wear sweaters during the fall.

With average temperatures finally in the 60s this week, giving students the chance to bring back their fall wardrobe, including sweaters, sweatshirts and scarves, into rotation.

Cardigans : Great for transitioning between summer and fall, cardigans come in a variety of textures, materials and colors. Elina Sendonaris (11) layers a brightly colored cardigan over a flannel shirt. Though they offer less warmth than traditional sweaters or jackets, cardigans can easily dress down an outfit to appear more relaxed and casual while still adding an additional layer to keep you warm.

unnamed-1
Over her black and white flannel shirt, Elina Sendonaris (11) wears a thick black, white, green, red, and yellow patterned cardigan. Wearing multiple layers is useful this season because they can easily be removed when there is hotter weather.

Kavya Ramakrishnan

Festive Patterns: As the holidays are approaching, more students are wearing Christmas-themed sweaters. Juniors Aishu Murari and Lisa Liu match outfits, wearing the same black sweater featuring a white festive holiday design. While their look is more subtle, others choose to be more showy in ironically wearing “ugly” Christmas sweaters, which is a newer trend.

unnamed
Aishu Murari (11) and Lisa Liu (11) both wear matching black sweaters with a white Christmas-themed pattern on the upper half. This look is both practical and seasonal as it is not too warm, but is still suitable for the winter.

Kavya Ramakrishnan

V-neck Sweaters: Sweaters can also dress up a look. Freshman Randy Zhao wears a black v-neck sweater over a collared shirt, giving him a professional appearance.

unnamed-2
Randy Zhao (9) sports a dark V-neck sweater. He makes the outfit look more formal with a light blue collared shirt underneath.

Kavya Ramakrishnan

Scarves: In addition to other forms of outerwear, scarves are an easy additional source of warmth that can be taken off during the course of the day without difficulty. In addition to a marled grey sweater, junior Angela Huang wears a matching scarf. “Sweatshirts never fit me right, and sweaters are cuter,” Angela said on her choice to wear a sweater today.

unnamed-3
Angela Huang (11) pairs a black and white scarf with a cropped grey sweater. This outfit is also useful because as the temperature later in the day, she can easily remove the scarf.

Sweatshirts: Rivaling the popularity of sweaters on the Upper School campus, sweatshirts are an easy way for students to keep warm. As most students have accumulated quite a collection over the years from various clubs, activities, and sports teams, many prefer the comfort and ease of sweatshirts to sweaters. “Sweatshirts are a lot more convenient than sweaters. You have a hood and this giant pocket that you can throw everything in. I can store everything in there — my phone, pencil pouch, calculator,” Aparna Yellapragada (11) said.

unnamed-4
Aparna wears a pink Chicago hoodie with a simple blue t-shirt. She finds her large pocket convenient to store her things.

Kavya Ramakrishnan