CareerConnect holds computer science panel

Lucas Wang

The CareerConnect Program held a computer science and engineering panel at 11:30 a.m. in the Nichols Auditorium today.

Panelists included Sudhir Wadhwa, global IT Director of Company Confidential; Edward Hunter, a software engineering director at Juniper Networks; Sima Shah, the principal engineer at Palo Alto networks; and Julie Zhang, manager of software engineering at eBay.

Panelists stressed the need to become familiar with programming and take advantage of educational resources.

“A guy who wants to be a singer should find every opportunity to be a singer. Practice, practice, practice!” Wadhwa, a self-proclaimed geek who began programming in Fortran 77 at a young age, explained.

In addition to gaining exposure to programming, Hunter humorously encouraged students to “get a life” and pursue interests beyond computer science and to enjoy their high school experience.

“Computers will always be there… but you’ll look back and say ‘Wow, I should have done that when I was young!’” Hunter said.

Like Wadhwa, one of Hunter’s first programming languages was Fortran. He added that the number of different programming languages on a resume is often irrelevant when seeking a job in computer science.

After panelists responded to questions from CareerConnect student director Sarah Bean, they opened the floor to questions from audience members. In response to a question on computer programming in schools, Shah advised students at the panel on the challenges and importance of problem solving in the workplace.

“Every day at work, we find challenges. Certain things resolve on their own,” Shah said. She compared solving problems to working out puzzles. “Relax, and slowly you’ll figure out how to solve [it].”

Likewise, Zhang encouraged students to focus on problem solving in high school.

“Problem solving is the fundamental thing. These are the basic skills that will help your career,” Zhang said.

Manan Shah (9) said that he liked the panel and enjoyed learning the connection between entrepreneurship and computer science.

“I learned a lot about technology and all the aspects about the path between being a high school student and being a successful entrepreneur,” he said.

CareerConnect is the Upper School’s business mentorship program that hopes to connect students to professionals in the field of their choice. Student Director of the CareerConnect program Sarah Bean (11) hoped that the panel would help educate prospective computer science students.

“Hopefully, students who have some interest or some desire to pursue computer science or engineering…were here to learn,” Sarah said. Previous Career Connect panels focused on entrepreneurship and medicine.

CareerConnect’s next panel centers on law and will be held on April 2, 2014.