Humans of Harker: Lucas Wang finds success by staying true to himself

%E2%80%9CI+want+to+be+remembered+as+the+guy+that+stayed+true+to+himself%2C+did+what+he+wanted+to+do+and+still+was+happy+and+succeeded+and+got+what+he+wanted+out+of+life+regardless+of+what+other+people+expected+of+him%2C%E2%80%9D+Lucas+Wang+%2812%29+said.+

Meena Gudapati

“I want to be remembered as the guy that stayed true to himself, did what he wanted to do and still was happy and succeeded and got what he wanted out of life regardless of what other people expected of him,” Lucas Wang (12) said.

by Meena Gudapati, Winged Post News Editor

Leader, learner, businessman and friend, senior Lucas Wang has lived the past four years without regrets.

Lucas is currently combining his interest in learning and entrepreneurship by working on creating an application which can teach people how to sing. He came across the idea when he and Peter Wu (12) wanted to learn to sing, but could not find an application to help them do so.

They have completed base research by speaking to teachers and students who specialize in singing and by looking online to learn the physiological aspects of singing.

We want to develop a machine learning program that can identify the specific changes in the frequencies that correspond with the physiological changes in the throat,” Lucas said.

In addition to his singing application, Lucas serves as a part-owner of Seedstages, which provides tools for student entrepreneurs.

“It connects students from different disciplines on a single networking site,” he said. “Say you got a science student and you got a business student; the business student wants to make an app, but he doesn’t have the technical skills, [so] he can connect with a technical student from a computer science department through our website.”

Outside of working on his business ventures, Lucas enjoys trying out new things with his friends including waking up early to run on a mountain, long distance biking and cooking.

“We hold these “bruhbecues” where we just buy random stuff at the grocery store and then throw it onto the grill,” he said. “We’ve done a “stir fry day” where we stir fried a bunch of vegetables.”

The “brubecue” group comprises of seniors Arnav Tandon, Michael Tseitlin, Srivatsav Pyda, Aashish Jain, Peter and Lucas.

Lucas has stepped out of his comfort zone in high school through his involvement with the Business and Entrepreneurship Department and his own entrepreneurial work. For example, he recalls having to speak to a room of 20 to 30 people, including Harker’s Board of Directors, as a sophomore.

“I was super nervous, but I ended up doing fine and having a bunch of them compliment me in the end,” he said.

By staying through to himself through high school, Lucas has lived without regretting his actions and experiences.

“I do what I want, and I live without regrets,” he said. “Say I do make a mistake; I justify it and then understand in the future how in the same scenario I could have done better, but I stay true to myself by just trusting myself.”

Through all of his experiences in entrepreneurship, and the experiences he has with his friends, Lucas never puts up a “fake demeanor.”

“I want to be remembered as the guy that stayed true to himself, did what he wanted to do and still was happy and succeeded and got what he wanted out of life regardless of what other people expected of him,” he said.