Honoring our mentors: Upper school celebrates Teacher Appreciation Day

Tiffany Wong

The Upper School celebrated Teacher Appreciation Day today. Members of student council and ASB hosted a Teacher Appreciation Breakfast for the faculty this morning.

by Tiffany Wong, Aquila News Editor

Festivities for Teacher Appreciation Day at Harker begin early in the day, with ASB and student council hosting a Teacher Appreciation Breakfast for Harker’s faculty and staff in Manzanita the morning of the holiday. The event, which ran today from 7:15 to 7:50 a.m., invited teachers to share a morning meal prepared by members of the kitchen staff.

Teacher Appreciation Day in the United States typically falls on the Tuesday of the first full week of May. However, the Upper School follows a slightly different tradition—by celebrating the holiday two weeks earlier before AP exam season.

The official observance of Teacher Appreciation Day dates back to 1980, when Congress declared March 7 as the National Teacher Day for that year. However, the concept of a holiday honoring the contributions and achievements of instructors had first been introduced to the United States government around 40 years prior, when teachers began writing to First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in the 1940s about the idea of creating such a day.

Although Congress did not continue to celebrate National Teacher Day after 1980, the National Education Association (NEA) and the National Parent Teacher Association (PTA) held festivities on March 7 every year until 1985, when the National PTA established the first full week of May as the year’s official Teacher Appreciation Week. The NEA Representative Assembly then voted to designate the Tuesday of that week as the year’s National Teacher Day.

In 1994, UNESCO proclaimed October 5 as World Teachers’ Day, a holiday the organization labels as “a day devoted to appreciating, assessing and improving the educators of the world.”

Though observances of days dedicated to honoring teachers’ contributions and achievements vary from country to country, the celebration of the power of instruction and learning continues to transcend international borders to this day. This year, the NEA and the National PTA invited students to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Day and participate in a Teacher Appreciation Day social media challenge by posting a picture of themselves with a teacher from their school with the hashtag #ThankATeacher.