Students, parents, and faculty attend Annual Picnic

Picnic attendees of all ages enjoy winning prizes at booths and participating in activities in the “Carnival of Creatures.” This year’s annual picnic was themed “Paws, Jaws, and Claws.”

The annual Family Picnic this past Sunday, themed “Paws, Jaws, and Claws,” attracted many students, faculty members, parent volunteers, and their families.

This year’s picnic featured a skit taking a primal twist on classic reality television shows like So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol, and Dancing with the Stars. Performance groups included JV Dance, Showstoppers, Belcanto, High Voltage, and Dance Fusion, each reflecting the theme of animals through their music and costumes.

Many students enjoyed bonding with their groups and performing on stage.

“It was fun [sitting] in the holding room getting to talk with friends,” said Madhu Nori (10), a member of the JV dance team who performed in the show.

In addition to featuring student performers, the picnic provided volunteer opportunities for clubs, including WiSTEM and National Honor Society (NHS), and parent volunteers. Besides the numerous booths where players could win prizes, many of those attending participated in various animal-themed activities, which included a dunk tank, a bounce house, and a miniature train that took people for rides around the picnic.

Heather Wardenburg, a parent who volunteers every year, enjoyed working at a booth named “Grabby Cans.”

“My kids go to school here. [I love] the sense of community and how everybody from Harker comes together; it’s just a really fun time,” she said. “Everybody has a great time together [watching] the performances and seeing all the other parents.”

The picnic was also popular among faculty members who volunteered at various booths and attended with their families.

Upper School chemistry teacher Dr. Smriti Koodanjeri also found the picnic to be an opportunity for family and community bonding.

“My parents are here for the first time. My daughter’s here. My husband’s here,” she said, proceeding to say that her favorite part of the picnic was playing the games. “I got a bottle of wine, a stuffed teddy, [and] a balloon!”

Apart from being dedicated to families, the picnic was also held in honor of alumni, who when registering were encouraged, although not required, to donate the cost of their ticket to the Annual Giving Campaign.

Advertised at the picnic, the annual fashion show will be the school’s next large fundraising event.