Humans of Harker: Leading with laughter

Jack Yang plays with perseverance to achieve his end goals
Emma Milner
“The biggest thing for me is perseverance. The more I do these activities, the better I get. And when you do well, it feels good, but also sticking with it and not giving up is a very important quality. I like to finish; I don’t like to leave things half undone,” Jack Yang (12) said.

A freshman playing on the varsity boys soccer team, a sophomore making his first Central Coast Section Championship and a junior leading the team as captain, Jack Yang (12) transitioned into roles with more responsibilities and commitments. As he reflects on one of his most memorable games, he recounts losing in the last minute of the CCS quarterfinals after an exceptionally dominating season record of 14-1-1. But it is not necessarily the regret of losing that keeps this moment alive in Jack’s heart: it’s the leadership and persistence that came out of it that he still exhibits today on the soccer field. 

From a young age, Jack involved himself in an array of activities, incorporating both sports and music into his life. Starting out at De Anza Force Soccer Club, he joined Harker’s team in middle school, continuing all through high school. Alongside soccer, he began playing the piano, reaching Level 10 and earning a diploma. Continuing his musical career, he transitioned to playing the trumpet, currently sitting in as lead trumpet in Jazz Band.

“I feel very proud after I’m able to keep going after so many years,” Jack said. “That’s probably how I was able to do these things for so long. Because I got better and better at it, I saw that progression and got more encouraged.”

Jack attributes soccer to teaching him how to lead and organize a group in search of a common goal. He recalls losing half the team following his sophomore year season. Stepping into the shoes of captain, Jack took on a challenging role, guiding the team in the footsteps of the 13 departing seniors.

“A lot of people were unsure if after such a successful season in sophomore year, we would just suddenly drop off,” Jack said. “I feel like I was able to lead the group on the field, but also just in the locker room.”

Jack values the environment that a team sport like soccer gives him to reinforce relationships with his teammates and cultivate those friendships off the field.

“You see your teammates around the halls,” Jack said. “Previously, you wouldn’t know them, but now you have this special bond because you have to fight for the same goal of winning. You have a common language to connect with them.”

Soccer teammate and fellow Jazz Band member Ben Cha (12) attributes Jack’s determination to his inner free spirit. As both team captain and lead trumpeter, Jack approaches each situation with an open mind and determined outlook. 

“He doesn’t really worry about what other people think about him,” Ben said. “He’s always very expressive and makes sure that whatever he wants to do, he will get done. There’s not many times I see him sad or not smiling and laughing.”

Along with his carefree attitude, Jack instills the importance of moving forward after disappointing losses or setbacks as a part of his mindset. Coming to terms with and being able to handle obstacles at hand has been a key factor in Jack’s success in soccer, which he later reciprocates to his other activities.

“If we lose, it’s hard to not think about it, but you just have to distract yourself,” Jack said. “I feel so miserable that I never want to feel that feeling again, so I work really hard to win next time. You can’t dwell on your losses too much because it’ll hinder you from your next success.”

Close friend Ariana Goetting (12) continues sentiments of Jack’s easy-going nature inside and outside the classroom. She admires his ability to pursue and focus on multiple passions at once while also making the most of high school experience.  

“He definitely values having fun, making memories and just enjoying life in the moment, but he also knows when to be serious, when to be focused,” Ariana said. “And I think his ability to balance that is really special, especially while being a student-athlete and academically strong as well.”

Upper school computer science teacher Susan King’s first impression of Jack continues to stand tall, as he first stood out to her as a kind, compassionate student, willing to help those around him. She wishes Jack to continue pursuing his goals and milestones, knowing that he will enjoy himself no matter where he ends up. 

“Jack has a passion for soccer, and I hope he continues to enjoy his passions,” King said. “If soccer is one he can go into adulthood playing or coaching or referring, I hope he does. When he was talking about soccer, that’s when his face lit up the most.”

For Jack, the endgame is clear. Reaching a sought-after goal or benchmark motivates him to rise to the top as he finds ways to excel through his dedicated work ethic and patient mindset.

“The biggest thing for me is perseverance,” Jack said. “The more I do these activities, the better I get. And when you do well, it feels good, but also sticking with it and not giving up is a very important quality. I like to finish; I don’t like to leave things half undone.”